Flatbed gooseneck trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018":3gmd4an3 said:
Angus Cowman":3gmd4an3 said:
You are wrong about the 26,001 deal making you have a CDL in some states if farm tagged withing 100 or 150 air miles No CDL is required at all no matter the gvwr
We ran semi's and most of the drivers just has regular drivers license but were required to have a Med card
Rules on Farm Tags vary from state to state

Amo
Contact your state DOT and they will give you the regs for your state that is the safest way to do it

Sometimes I think they change the rules all the time to keep us confused and to make money.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. It is all about the money, and part of the time the people who are enforcing the rules do not know what the rules are. That is why I keep a copy of our states comerical drivers handbook in the glove box with the Ag exemption page bookmarked, so if I ever have problems I can show them exactly what it says.

In Texas, if it is strictly farm use and within 150 miles of your farm you do not need a CDL. You do have to follow all the other laws concerning commercial vehicles though(example overloading axles, lights, brakes ect.). The same goes for the military. Military personnel can drive tractor trailers without a CDL. I think a lot of other states have the same rules.

I have a 7 ton goose and a dual tandem. Here I do not need a CDL with in 150 miles from home as a crow flies.

There is one thing that has always confused me about the load a gooseneck can carry. My 7 ton goose weighs around 3,000 lb. I know I am supposed to subtract the weight of the trailer from the rated axel load to find the actual load capacity. But the goose neck is supposed to carry around 15% - 20% of the weight. I went over the scales with 1,400 lb. on the trailer and was not over weight. I was pulling the trailer with a Mack straight truck.
How accurate is the 15 - 20 percent theory?

I may of overlooked it, but what are you towing with? I have a 25+5 dual tandem. That is a sled behind my one ton dually. Don't think I would want much of a load on it with a 3/4 pickup. For a medium to larger tractor l really like a dual tandem. But they are over kill for a lot of smaller loads.

Wow! There are some very restrictive laws out there. In Oregon, (farm use but have never been stopped or asked) with a regular driver's license I drive a 3/4 ton HD Diesel single axle and pull a 30+8 twin 7K Gooseneck and a 16+6 triple 7K axle gooseneck and have never had to go through the scales no matter what the weight is that I am carrying. I can legally even travel (I think it's 150 mile from home) into CA, NV & WA without a worry.

With a regular car license, I can even drive the largest Motorhomes on my present license.

As long as it's a single vehicle (not a trailer), you can drive any size vehicle here as long as it doesn't have air brakes (well, the limit is 26,000 lbs, but they all have air brakes anyhow).

Farm plates do make a difference, but for me the 150 mile radius would be very restrictive.. there's hardly anything within 150 miles of me.

For what I'm doing, a 20 ft (maybe 22 ft) with a good pair of 7K axles and 14 ply tires really does the job quite well.. a 70hp tractor is possible, as well as most implements.. and it takes me 2 loads to haul all my calves and a few cows.

Yes, it would be a 3/4 T pickup. Ive pulled a 25+5 before with it. Hauled a 5088 IHC tractor home...thats the biggest load I've hauled with it. Im sure I can contact the DOT and they would tell me everything. Know a guy that did that when he went to Indiana to get a tractor. Im sure some of its for safety. Lot of it is $$$$$

I agree with Smoking M, farm tags & farm stuff they "should" be preaty leanient, if its safe. I just wish the laws were the same from state to state. Say if you live in NE Nebraska or SE South Dakota, there is a heck of a difference in laws and your still within your 150 miles of home. Kinda like I have the EGR deleted on my pickup. I went into Colorado several times last year. I wondered if I got checked, would I be exempt where I was out of state? Glad I didn't have to find out.

Everyone thinks they are right and nobody likes to be told what to do! :lol2:

You gotta watch out for the federal law with stuff like the EGR delete.

They want to make SURE that no one can obey all the laws.. you'll always be wrong somewhere.

Latest posts