First truck recommendations for sweet 16

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Daughter is turning 16 in November. I had thought I would get her a small truck with a 4 cylinder for fuel mileage. I started looking at Tacomas and they say 21mpg. Well, my daily driver full size gets 21. I'm really surprised at the fuel mileage. I expected going from a V8 to a 4 banger would get me up to 30+
Any recommendations? Has to be a truck, needs to be 4wd. I've never owned anything less than a full size, but was thinking a manual tranny on a small truck would be best. If she pulls a trailer, she'll borrow my trucks. All she needs is a pickup bed for running errands, work, hauling feed, and I'd prefer enough seating that she could drive herself and 2 younger siblings around.

jedstivers":2n08gfxw said:
I'd just put her in a Z71 and be done with it. Size matters. I started my daughter in a 98 Yukon 4x4. It was a old one we had. They are reliable and heavy.
If I don't see a significant difference in fuel mileage, that's probably what I'll do.

I'm with Jed. Big and heavy means she walks away from the first crash and learns a lesson.
My wife is in a Toyota Tacoma that we bought to get to tough spots on the ranch properties and as a daily driver for her. I sweat bullets when she goes to town and is not home right on time because that thing is a tin can. I trust her diving skills(okay, not really) but if someone hits her it's game over. I used it ONE time to feed a few bales when my one ton was in the shop and a bull destroyed one door just by backing into it really gently.

I just checked out the Nissan Frontier series. The few 4wd models I just looked at advertise 19mpg. What is the advantage of a small truck anymore?

Ouachita":2mgm6rhw said:
I just checked out the Nissan Frontier series. The few 4wd models I just looked at advertise 19mpg. What is the advantage of a small truck anymore?
Picking the right ones,,Chevy s10 v6 and the Dakota are horrible on fuel....if you go full size go with the v8, more engine to pull less around as compared to a v6 struggling....I sold my s10 4 bangerwhen the business closed... but my dually ain't making it as a run arounder....

Ouachita":351b3d4j said:
For me the only advantages are that that thing is a freakin' billy goat and it get's into places where my only other option is to pack in fencing material by mule and I can drive it to town and park it in car spaces without getting a ticket. Beyond that I would buy a full sized truck.

jedstivers":x3h1syg7 said:
Ouachita":x3h1syg7 said:
Nothing. They cost as much or more and get the same or sometimes worse mileage.
Ain't what I'm seeing, kids around here buy up every used Toyota they get their hands on while the nissian is cheaper, it was a suggestion that I probably should have stayed out of

Well then, the small truck option is off the table. The ONLY reason I was considering was I thought she could operate it cheaper. I have a 14 yo son and another 12 yo daughter. Things are going to get expensive.
I drive a half ton crew cab Chevy with 5.3 as a daily rig. I get 16-17mpg to work and back, and 20-21 on long trips. Wife's Yukon does a little better for some reason.

Alacowman, I appreciate all suggestions. I haven't truck shopped in a while, so haven't kept up with what's what or not. In fact I can't even remember ever riding in a small truck except a Chevy S10 in about 1986. I think I remember it getting 30 something mpg. It was a 5 speed with V6 and I think it was an 83 or 84 model

ALACOWMAN":1f6z6jfb said:
Here's one suggestion I'll back to the grave take that cell phone away..when she's driving .. Are some kind of way to keep her off it ;-)
I was a hard azz with my older kids. They never had one. But we got this daughter one last year because wife started working fill in part time at extension office. We cant get a land line at home. I'll have to figure out the best way to approach the phone use issue

Ouachita":1ozrumzt said:
ALACOWMAN":1ozrumzt said:
Here's one suggestion I'll back to the grave take that cell phone away..when she's driving .. Are some kind of way to keep her off it ;-)
I was a hard azz with my older kids. They never had one. But we got this daughter one last year because wife started working fill in part time at extension office. We cant get a land line at home. I'll have to figure out the best way to approach the phone use issue
had first hand experience with it..daughter pulled out in front of someone, could have been bad...

We have a S-10 with a 4cyl. 5 speed, and my neighbor has one also. We get 22-25 mpg. he gets 28-30mpg. it's all in how you drive. Ram has a 1/2 ton with a V-6 that gets good fuel mileage. A metal salesman I know gets 28+mpg on the highway.

My friend just bought a new ford F150, says he gets great mileage... I think they have a "mid size" box option on them, it's long enough you can put a couple dirt bikes in the back without having to put them in at an angle.

Latest posts