First timer lots of questions , sorry!

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar23

Reaction score
To start I purchased 8 registered angus heifers , and 4 11 year old registered angus pregnant cows. Cows are due in a month. Heifers are all 11 months. I saw a post on SAV President , was thinking him on the older cows? I also read not to push first time heifers with a "curve bender" or they might not breed back? So recommendations on a bull? I was thinking SAV Rainfall or Millbar Hickock Sexed semen? Thanks

Bar23":1uw3bq48 said:
I also read not to push first time heifers with a "curve bender" or they might not breed back?
Yes but, getting a live calf from a virgin heifer is more of a concern than breeding back.
Who will be doing your technician work and what do they have available?

:welcome: to posting, where are you located?

I am in southern Colorado Pagosa. My neighbor will be doing the Ai he is a Genex Rep and has "every bull they offer on his tank" and lots of left over straws. So I would save money there. I would like more heifers and of course a bull to sell to pay for some feed etc.

The first thing you should look at in a bull is calving ease for the heifers. talk to your AI tech or supplier about what traits are important to you and let them recommend bulls that fit your program. I would not spend a lot of money on older cows and more on the heifers since they should have the best genetics.

I just talked to him. He also has a "new bull" Souix Pass Perfection # 18833654 . Anyone heard of him ? Also has pay weight 1682

Cows are Leachman right time grand daughters and Heifers sired by a Denver son

payweight 1682 is a +6 calving ease bull. I like to use a +8 or higher on heifers. He is a highly sought after bull and had a waiting list not long ago, so if he has him in stock, and you like him, you better get him.

Musgrave 316 Stunner at Genex looks promising. Semi-proven Calving Ease. His sire LD Capitalist 316 has really good phenotype and is a Proven Calving Ease Bull.

Agree with lcbulls. On the heifers I would go with stunner. Musgrave have good cattle. Since your rep has extra straws for your cows I would go with resource or renown depending on there frame size. You should have a good heifer crop out of those matings

Renown over Resource ? The numbers aren't the best but I notice SAV cattle are very popular.

Bar23":7fn090c3 said:
Renown over Resource ? The numbers aren't the best but I notice SAV cattle are very popular.

I haven't noticed much difference between the two. I used Renown because he was a little cheaper at the time.( same now) I'm going to use him some more. I would use either with confidence

From genex Pa Fortitude works well on heifers, good thickness and has a nice balanced set of epd's with reasonable proof. I'd use him on heifers and cows if you want to keep it simple and be happy with the outcome. Good luck.

what bw and accuracy should I look for to breed heifers ?

I believe that CE is more important than BW as a EPD to use on Heifers. Although they normally go hand in hand.
Obviously the more accurate the better if you Want the peace of mind. I'd say anything over .70 is fairly proven.

I agree with Resource and Renown on the cows. Renown has a little more frame and neck extension than Resource. They perform similar but Resources are in a thicker more moderate package.

Bar23":ohl1rm6m said:
To start I purchased 8 registered angus heifers , and 4 11 year old registered angus pregnant cows. Cows are due in a month. Heifers are all 11 months. I saw a post on SAV President , was thinking him on the older cows? I also read not to push first time heifers with a "curve bender" or they might not breed back? So recommendations on a bull? I was thinking SAV Rainfall or Millbar Hickock Sexed semen? Thanks

There are VERY FEW SAV President calves in the United States right now, excluding what is at SAV, Angus Association only shows 38 that are DNA parentage proven, we have 4 of them, two daughters, two sons, with more on the way. All of them could have easily been calved by a healthy registered Angus heifer in my opinion. We have heifers bred right now to SAV Elation and he is a +1 CED, so President at a +4 should not be an issue.

As for SAV President, his calves are stunners. After seeing a few born you will want A LOT more of them! Take a look at ours right here.

and

People can say what they want, but SAV President 6847 is the Rolls Royce of Angus bulls. You get Blackcap May 4136, Coleman Charlo, and a deep, deep pedigree. On top of that, Herbster packs that semen with 40 million per straw which will help your conception rates, as if President needed any help, he is very virile as it stands.

My only other bit of advice if you absolutely feel the need to avoid dystocia on your heifers, is to go with SAV Raindance sexed semen from ST Genetics. That will pretty much assure a daughter, which should be easy for your gals to give birth to. We have multiple SAV Raindance daughters on the ground right now, and they are excellent as well, I'm just partial to President over Raindance.

If you order semen from Herbster Angus, get some straws of SAV Harvestor if he is still producing, I've never seen daughters as nice as he produces, and your cows can handle him, don't use him on your heifers though. Just my 2 cents.

Cdcollett":z27fzqw7 said:
From genex Pa Fortitude works well on heifers, good thickness and has a nice balanced set of epd's with reasonable proof. I'd use him on heifers and cows if you want to keep it simple and be happy with the outcome. Good luck.

A lot of good suggestions have been provided, but if you're looking for a well-proven bull I would echo the suggestion to use PA Fortitude 2500 from Genex. I have had very good luck using him. His bull calves make nice steers and his offspring have been very docile and easy to handle/work. Another older, well-proven bull from Genex to use on heifers is Connealy Right Answer. Great calving ease, good growth, and he produces very nice females.

Right answer is awesome. His daughters raise the biggest calves of anything I have. I keep talking myself out of using him more, I'm a sucker for some of these new genetics. I have thought very hard on buying 50 straws of him to have in the tank, I'd say his production days are coming to an end

Dsth":3pj9isqo said:
The first thing you should look at in a bull is calving ease for the heifers. talk to your AI tech or supplier about what traits are important to you and let them recommend bulls that fit your program. I would not spend a lot of money on older cows and more on the heifers since they should have the best genetics.
Before the "first thing" you need to define the market for your cattle. If they are not going to be sale toppers in a registered sale consider the cost of semen versus returns. Many decisions on AI work are void of the consideration of the profit made on the calves.

Do not fall for the new bull game or the great bull with few calves. Both are red flags.

Look for proven bulls and bulls that will work in your environment. A ride to local herds to see what actually works is worth 100 times the advice you will get on this site.

Latest posts