first time heifers miscarring, loosing calfs b4 term

Help Support CattleToday:

kjp

Reaction score

Anyone have any suggestions on why 4 out of 13 of my first time heifers all black angus are miscarring?. In NW MO were in a drought and hot heat, but the water has been tested they have rural water and pond avaible, they are on vets shot program for Lipto etc, Crystlyx tubs, have salt. These are all fall calvers. Thank YOu :help:

Foothill abort popped into my head but I don't think you have it in MO. You really need to be working with a local vet that see's lots of cattle in your area.

If you vaccinated in Nov the Lepto is only good for 6 months. I vaccinate in Nov then in April i give them Leptoferm 5 to carry them the rest of the term. Maybe with ponds and heat could be that but i think C P is right get a vet involved not knowing with that many would drive me crazy.

If they are aborting between 4 and 6 month's I would bet on Neospora.
Dog's Yote's are the carries you are in a drought and this increase's unwanted population's around watering source's

It could be a number of different things -- I have had a few cows lose their pregnancies in the extreme heat like in 2011 and this year. Another possibility in your area is Trich-- which is really bad in MO. You should discuss all these things with your Vet. A good health program is a must especially in the Trich Zone.
This is what we do:
All heifer calves get 8 way & worming at 2-3 months
All heifers get a booster 8 way 30 days pre-wean and worming again
Post-weaning all heifers are calf-hood vaccinated for Brucellosis @ 8 mo
Post-weaning all heifers get a MLV like CattleMaster Gold VL5 which includes Vibrio (Annual vaccs are KV)
Post-weaning all heifers get a round of One Shot
Heifers are wormed ever 90 days and are offered a High MG Mineral year round --here
Heifers are always offered clean water.

kjp":1e9msnmy said:
Anyone have any suggestions on why 4 out of 13 of my first time heifers all black angus are miscarring?. In NW MO were in a drought and hot heat, but the water has been tested they have rural water and pond avaible, they are on vets shot program for Lipto etc, Crystlyx tubs, have salt. These are all fall calvers. Thank YOu :help:

It could be a "bug" that is for sure and needs to be checked out.
However in our area there are cattle miscarriges due to pine poisoning, cattle eating old pine needles.
Only a thought...
Nite Hawk

How long in term and are the calves developed? Sounds like lepto how is the deer population up that way, and are the cattle drinking and eating in deer area?

Interstin thread but not interesting enough to the OP re ever return after posting the question.

Latest posts