First time having cows ai'ed

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
I'm having the local vet ai four cows in the morning and I'm a little worried because none of them are showing any signs of coming in heat this evening.This is how they were set up on the 7th at 8:00 am he inserted the cidrs and gave them shots then on the 14th at 2:00 pm I pulled the cidrs and gave them the shots he had sent home with me and I'm supposed to have them back at the vet's in the morning at 8:00 am so he can ai them.But this evening I figured they would be riding each other or the other cows riding them but I didn't see any signs of that.Is this normal when setting them up for ai? :???:

One cow calved the first week of september and the other three calved the first week of october.

ousoonerfan22":2mbz3o0y said:
I'm having the local vet ai four cows in the morning and I'm a little worried because none of them are showing any signs of coming in heat this evening.This is how they were set up on the 7th at 8:00 am he inserted the cidrs and gave them shots then on the 14th at 2:00 pm I pulled the cidrs and gave them the shots he had sent home with me and I'm supposed to have them back at the vet's in the morning at 8:00 am so he can ai them.But this evening I figured they would be riding each other or the other cows riding them but I didn't see any signs of that.Is this normal when setting them up for ai? :???:

One cow calved the first week of september and the other three calved the first week of october.
This sounds just like my experience with AI. When I started my operation 3 years ago, I had four cows and no bull. I got an AI breeder to AI them. He gave them all a shot to synchronize them and returned at the appropriate time to breed them. One cow was clearly in estrus. He bred all four. The only one that took was the one clearly in heat. Now I didn't know that at the time. But I do now. To make a long story short, this went on for about five months of seeing a cow bulling and doing another AI. In the end, I had one pregnant cow and three cows that went for 5 to 6 months open until I got a bull on them. I hope your experience with AI is a better one!

heat detection strips on the cows tail base you can't see everything and this is helpful, also one thing learn was lenght of needle to ensure all shots take. it is important step in the success just not giving the shot but ensuring its administered correctly...

Some are late responders. He can time AI them, at 72 hours after your estrumate (or Lute, what ever you used). He will give a shot of Cysterelin (GnRH) at the time he breeds them, forcing them to ovulate. The success rate for that is about 50%, so worth they try if you set up with CIDR's already.

The needles were at least a 1 1/2" if not longer I didn't measure them but longer than the 16x1 needles I use for other shots.The vet told me to make sure the shot went deep.

you should be ok. Timed ai protocol for cows is 60 to 66 hrs after cidr removal. you will be at 66. I like to split it at say 63 after removal. That would have been 5 pm fri. Its not an exact science, hopefully you can get 55 to 65 percent conception might get 70 would be pretty good results in my opinion for timed AI. Pull blood in 28 days and can now for sure.

The sync programs were not designed for you to see standing heat. They were designed to ovulate the cow early so that ALL of the cattle ovulate at the same time. If you wait for them to respond naturally, you're going to have a busy few days. At this point you just have to have faith in your vet and medicine.
FWIW, I know how you feel. I bred ten heifers of my own stock that I syncd because I just didn't have time to look at them every day and I found myself thinking,"I'd feel alot better if a few of these were flaming hot" and I breed literally thousands of syncd cows a year.

We AI about 16-20 a year. I agree the timed AI will not always show the "i'm in heat" disposition. The vet can tell you what the cervix feels like. When we take notes by the shoot we write down how "ripe" the cow feels when the vet inserts the probe. We avg about 80-90%. But having said that there are 1 or 2 cows that just seem to not sync up on this. They are either gone to the SB or ,if I do like the cow and they raise a good calf, I will just let them run under the bull.

Good luck and keep your cows in good shape

The vet thought each cow was in...I can't remember his exact words but he commented on each cow how easily the tube entered the cervix.I never did see any of the cows riding each other but they were high strung that day when loading and while in the trailer,they're usually calm and not stressed out in the corral or the trailer.

Latest posts