First Shell Shocked Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The first Shell Shocked calf born here. Fire Sweep has produced a couple and I made the same observation that she has expressed to me - they come in a small, thrifty package. This calf was up nursing before she had him licked.

Dam is a Simangus cow bred and born here. She has a pretty udder.
Sire is Shell Shocked.
Due: 8/29/2019
DOB: 8/27/19
Bull, perfect blaze. Identical to mom.
Gestation: 283 days.
Weight: 76 pounds
Passed placenta 30 minutes after partum.

That's big for a shell shocked calf! None of mine have been over 70. Nice looking calf either way. My biggest complaint is that mine haven't been overly stout by weaning time. But they are generally pretty fancy.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
He is built like all mine. Pretty narrow frame and lanky to start with. That bull is about as surefire calving ease as they come!

It will be interesting to see how they develop. My calves are thicker and deeper. I need my bulls to be stout!

Oh, I'm not saying his won't grow, haven't tried him. I saw the bull and he was beautiful, great set of feet & legs, plenty big enough. I'm not a real numbers breeder, but all his numbers suck except CE, so I'll wait on using him. Blaze face is great, but not a determining factor for me to use a bull, even though I absolutely LOVE them and generally are easier to sell.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Oh, I'm not saying his won't grow, haven't tried him. I saw the bull and he was beautiful, great set of feet & legs, plenty big enough. I'm not a real numbers breeder, but all his numbers suck except CE, so I'll wait on using him. Blaze face is great, but not a determining factor for me to use a bull, even though I absolutely LOVE them and generally are easier to sell.

I agree with your assessment. Last fall which is the beginning of my breeding season, I used Shell Shocked on all but one heifer and this cow. She was one of the first I bred and came in a couple days before I got my full inventory of semen. I cannot use Optimizer on her because the calf would have too much white. I used Broadway on her the year before and the calf was over a 100 pounds. I have not decided who I am breeding her to this fall.

I'm pretty certain that the shell shocked calves will really take off. Several calves aired by him on other forums turned out to be very nice as yearlings.
Most start growing good at 60 days of age.

I don't wanna steal Ron's thread but maybe I can post some pics of my heifer as she grows.

When most of the numbers are in the bottom 1-5%, his calves are going to have to really smash the scales and dress out really well to start moving the numbers. In real life, I loved the bull, but, is he at the extreme of the pendulum on his genetics? (meaning "some" might be like him, but most won't???) We just have soooo many good bulls to choose from.
Bulls like Executive Order have a CE of +15 (more than what I need/like), but his growth numbers were in the top 10%.
CSCX Bandwagon - WS Revival - W/C Red Answer - JF Back in Black - Mr CCR 20-20

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
When most of the numbers are in the bottom 1-5%, his calves are going to have to really smash the scales and dress out really well to start moving the numbers. In real life, I loved the bull, but, is he at the extreme of the pendulum on his genetics? (meaning "some" might be like him, but most won't???) We just have soooo many good bulls to choose from.
Bulls like Executive Order have a CE of +15 (more than what I need/like), but his growth numbers were in the top 10%.
CSCX Bandwagon - WS Revival - W/C Red Answer - JF Back in Black - Mr CCR 20-20

I plan to bring some Executive Order into my herd. There is one for sale in the Kentucky Simmental Association Fall Sale on the 14th. She has a great pedigree.

The sale is at Bluegrass Stockyards in Lexington and the sale manager is Doug Parke.

kentuckyguy said:
I'm pretty certain that the shell shocked calves will really take off. Several calves aired by him on other forums turned out to be very nice as yearlings.
Most start growing good at 60 days of age.

I don't wanna steal Ron's thread but maybe I can post some pics of my heifer as she grows.

I am satisfied with how the calf is doing. He is growing well.

Latest posts