first post and a rather uncomon problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H":dp54fxll said:
TexasBred":dp54fxll said:
nordicfarmer":dp54fxll said:
If it was possible to get a vet even close to her I would just get her towed in and let her give birth the natural way.
Edit: the area is full of Sitka spruce. Was planted tight around 10000 thres there in the 60's and some in the 80's no way to get her out from there if she don't want to.
If not my option would be to wait for snow and simply runn her down using skies or snow shoes.

Best of luck. Would love to be there to watch the cross country ski match.

eeeks! A cow that crazy could turn on a person. I wouldn't want to be in that persons skis!
Guess you guys have never seen a Swed on ski. They make a old cowboy on a cutting horse look like a city slicker. :lol2:

I can see that there is some fun in this story.
We only keep cows for beef and we let them grass up in the montain in the summertime.
It's about 4km away from any road that can be used by anything else than 4wd tractors.

She was there last year aswell with a herd and we only got half the herd down, but the second half got down once the snow came.
This year we got the whole heard down and only she where left. The rest of the herd is indoors for the winter.

If there was not the possebilety that she was carrying a calf I could not bother, but with a total of 27cattle one calf is quite important to me.

We keep grass in silos and we have transported to her twice, but the rain and mud simply wont let us drive there right now so we just need to wait for the winter to make the ground solid.

I newer had a cow turn on me so I have not even concidered that danger so thanks for puting that into my mind.
Most likely any atempt to run her down would fail, she would just hide among the sitka spruce anyway :(

When a cow is left with no herd and goes wild it is hard to tame them up. It would have been better if one of the herd had stayed with her. She probably would have followed that one.
It sounds like you graze the mountains and the cattle do not see many humans. Not much you can do until the ground allows you to get to her. Keep putting out hay as you can.

sim.-ang.king":33ydm5gd said:
eeeks! A cow that crazy could turn on a person. I wouldn't want to be in that persons skis!
Guess you guys have never seen a Swed on ski. They make a old cowboy on a cutting horse look like a city slicker. :lol2:

Maybe so as long as they are solo but what happens once they get the cow caught? Guess then it's like water skiing behind a big boat. That should be fun too until you get pasted to one of those big a$$ tree trunks. Ticket sales should be brisk however. :lol2:

TexasBred":1ld2vewu said:
sim.-ang.king":1ld2vewu said:

Maybe so as long as they are solo but what happens once they get the cow caught? Guess then it's like water skiing behind a big boat. That should be fun too until you get pasted to one of those big a$$ tree trunks. Ticket sales should be brisk however. :lol2:

More like this.............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPsGrzpkyCo

3waycross":23ftjnzv said:
TexasBred":23ftjnzv said:
sim.-ang.king":23ftjnzv said:

More like this.............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPsGrzpkyCo

Dang ol' man....had no idea how well you could ski. :lol: :lol:

TexasBred":1g8prbbf said:
sim.-ang.king":1g8prbbf said:

That's where the Winchester comes into play.

Dang ol' man....had no idea how well you could ski. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I usta could! Not anymore. I loved Ski Joring when i was a kid

So the winter came and the frost made the ground possible to drive on so we been able to feed her, but we have not seen the beast.
On the bright side she seams to get tired of the snow and frost and has started to drawn closer to the stables and hopefulle she will start to feel the smell of here relatives.
Seams putting a bullet trough her might not be needed after all, but if she don't get in within the end of February we need to so the calf wont freeze to death the first hours of it's life.

I would just wait.
If the calf lives, it lives. If it dies, it dies.
I know you don't want to lose a potential calf, but you don't have that calf now.
If she eventually comes on in then you win. If not it doesn't cost anything I don't think.

If your biggest concern at this point is the calf freezing, I'm not sure you have as much to worry about as you think. Many ranches calve in the winter, and I would venture a guess that most of those let the cows do it outdoors. Bitter cold and dry and much better than a little cold and wet. It'll likely be fine.

So what happened?????
I can't stand when I read a story and the OP does nor post how it ended! :-(

Nordicfarmer has not logged in since 18 Jan, I do believe the outcome was positive...otherwise he would surely have come back and asked for our advice :p

alisonb":18nu3si9 said:
Nordicfarmer has not logged in since 18 Jan, I do believe the outcome was positive...otherwise he would surely have come back and asked for our advice :p

Or invisible crazy cow and her ninja calf did him in with sitka throwing stars ! !

Weird situation....BUT, there has been a couple times we've had a down cow that didnt last until she calved. Cant stand to see anything go to waste, i was ready with a knife when a bullet was put in their head, i went to cutting. We've done this twice and both times the calf was too small. My daughter did it once and was by herself. Took her too long and the calf died.
We would never do what this guy did because we never keep anything that shows they get really upset if they are penned alone. But i'm going to guess if he tried he would have never gotten a life calf out if he shot from a distance... and of course, i dont know what kind of shot he was, i suppose she could hit the ground alive and then he go to work. He could accidentally gut shoot her...then, well, no point in trying if that happened.

Latest posts