First Pied Born

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Had to pull it, but the little bull is doing fine. No scales handy, but my guess is around 80 lbs. After the head and shoulders passed the rest of him shot out.

90DA8D3F-90F8-4B49-A412-7AAF9B14A9AC-144-00000006AA9EAF95.jpg

Thanks, TT! Yes he does, but he'll fill out and look really different in a few weeks. Mom is letting me work with him so I did get the ear tag in this morning. Maybe a weight this afternoon.

slick4591":6o702pcf said:
Had to pull it, but the little bull is doing fine. No scales handy, but my guess is around 80 lbs. After the head and shoulders passed the rest of him shot out.

Thats too bad... Is that common with Pieds?

90DA8D3F-90F8-4B49-A412-7AAF9B14A9AC-144-00000006AA9EAF95.jpg

alisonb":2o9u35qw said:
Nice! Is it her first calf? Post a pic in a while :D

Thanks and yes, it is her first. I just got in from weighing him in at 95 lbs. I will definitely post after he fills out and the muscle growth starts.

SSGenetics":2o9u35qw said:
Thats too bad... Is that common with Pieds?

Since this is my first I don't know from personal experience. Since I've been told over and over to watch these heifers very closely, then my best guess is that it is fairly common. CKC 1586 or Anazzi will probably have a better answer for you.

nice looking pair there.with a BW 95 no wonder you had to pull him.i bet that heifer wont go 1000lbs.

bigbull338":3p4azn5z said:
nice looking pair there.with a BW 95 no wonder you had to pull him.i bet that heifer wont go 1000lbs.

Thank you! I've still got another to go within the next couple of weeks and she's even a little smaller. Both of the heifers have had nothing but grass and hay since conception. I have cleaned up the chains and still have them handy cause I'm gonna be needing them again.

chippie":3p4azn5z said:
Congratulations! Good looking cow and calf. I wouldn't mind seeing them in my pasture
veryhappy.gif

Thanks, Chippie! I can't wait until this boy fills out.

Congrats! Very nice calf! Excellent addition to the herd! The Cow looks a great breeder! Have you ever crossed them with An Aubrac? I would like someone on here to put me in Contact with someone that has crossed them with the Aubrac??... Id say they would be an excellent cross... As both breeds are excellent!

Catherina_Cunnane.":dk6dgwho said:
Congrats! Very nice calf! Excellent addition to the herd! The Cow looks a great breeder! Have you ever crossed them with An Aubrac? I would like someone on here to put me in Contact with someone that has crossed them with the Aubrac??... Id say they would be an excellent cross... As both breeds are excellent!

Thanks! I'm running a pure bred farm, so no, I've not crossed them with anything. Have kept my eyes open for Angus or maybe Shorthorn to cross tho.

if it was me id go with a shorthorn to outcross with.an id use him to breed your 1st calf heifers.

BB, I was going to use my Pied bull over whichever. I'm wanting something for the freezer and I don't need another bull for that. Another cow is much more valuable to me.

slick4591":1ifniagq said:
BB, I was going to use my Pied bull over whichever. I'm wanting something for the freezer and I don't need another bull for that. Another cow is much more valuable to me.
well you can find a nice shorthorn cow or 2 for your bull to cover.

Congrats on a nice calf. Will this breed lighten with age? Like how a grey horse is born black as greys as it ages.

Latest posts