First one is a bust

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Drove up on a girl that was in labor yesterday afternoon that had the feet and nose poked out a little, but with the sac still intact. Pretty well knew the calf was dead and after getting her to the barn and a hard pull the heifer went down in the chute. Bull calf has to be 125 lbs or more. Opened the side door of the chute and she crawled her way out with her fronts but didn't try to stand. Left her overnight and will check on her in a bit.

This heifer did the same thing to me last year with a 115 lb heifer calf that only lived two days after the hard pull, but mamma did get her legs pretty quick. This girl puts everything into developing her calves as she probably looses 100-150 lbs in the last 60 days of her pregnancy. This was part of a line-breeding mating that I had really been excited about. The bull she was bred to only throws 80 to 90 lbs calves except when bred to her. If she makes it she'll find her way to the sale barn soon.

slick4591 said:
jehosofat said:
slick4591 said:
This was part of a line-breeding mating that I had really been excited about.

Roll Tide. Go Hogs. :lol:

Obviously there's something rattling around here that I'm not getting.

Its a "linebreeding" comment , pertaining to tide fans and hog fans because alot of them are line bred

Sorry to hear that. I know it's disappointing losing one like that that you have been looking forward to. I hope she makes it and you can get a little salvage out of her to soften the blow.

A.J. said:
Sorry to hear that. I know it's disappointing losing one like that that you have been looking forward to. I hope she makes it and you can get a little salvage out of her to soften the blow.

Thanks, but I just got back and she had drug herself out of the barn and a couple hundred feet away from it. She has the desire but can't use her rear legs at all, so it don't look good from where I'm sitting.