First one for 23’

Help Support CattleToday:

We bought an easy calving bull specifically to use on heifers... in 2013.... bought a 2nd one in 2014.... because I also want to be able to sleep at night. The first bull we STILL USE and the 2nd one got hurt this past year, stifled... and sadly shipped him. I would rotate the bulls on heifers so we tried to not use them on any direct daughters as well as using them on any heifers we retained, and any bought ones. The bull we still have, is an easy gentle breeder, he is probably pushing 1800-2000 lbs... not a huge bull. His calves will average maybe 60 lbs... YEP, cute little shyts.... they are vigorous, up and nursing....and by the time they are weaned you can not tell most of them from the calves out of the plus weight bulls on the cows. A few are a little finer boned but not many.
Popping out a live calf is the goal... and if the heifers have any substance, will milk and grow the calf out. Our cows average 1100-1200 lbs so not real big but they fit the environment and we wean off 450-550 wt calves.

That first calf has really grown.... she is a cute "self-important" little queen of her domain.☺️ 😊

We bought an easy calving bull specifically to use on heifers... in 2013.... bought a 2nd one in 2014.... because I also want to be able to sleep at night. The first bull we STILL USE and the 2nd one got hurt this past year, stifled... and sadly shipped him. I would rotate the bulls on heifers so we tried to not use them on any direct daughters as well as using them on any heifers we retained, and any bought ones. The bull we still have, is an easy gentle breeder, he is probably pushing 1800-2000 lbs... not a huge bull. His calves will average maybe 60 lbs... YEP, cute little shyts.... they are vigorous, up and nursing....and by the time they are weaned you can not tell most of them from the calves out of the plus weight bulls on the cows. A few are a little finer boned but not many.
Popping out a live calf is the goal... and if the heifers have any substance, will milk and grow the calf out. Our cows average 1100-1200 lbs so not real big but they fit the environment and we wean off 450-550 wt calves.

That first calf has really grown.... she is a cute "self-important" little queen of her domain.☺️ 😊

The first calf comes to me like a dog. If she see me in the pasture she comes running up to me. The other calves while a little nervous are seeing her do it and starting to do the same thing.

The other day I was working outside what we call the barn lot/paddock and I looked back and she was standing at the gate staring at me. Then she tried sticking her head through the gate and then just stood there and watched me work.

Depending on how she does and the 2nd and 3rd heifer calves I might end up keeping them. Their moms are doing excellent so far as first timers and they bred pretty much soon as the bull was put in.

3EE05849-633E-4194-B360-4F16C888AB32.jpeg

Watch out for this gang! Up to no good. 🤣 They were all following one of the cows the other day annoying her and she finally spun around on them like "Keep it up and I will bust each of ya." It won't be long and the 5th member of the gang will join.

View attachment trim.1EBB27EC-756B-4BB3-B51D-2BA7C2C58689.MOV

The bull calf is a milk thief, or at least tried his hand at it. I was heading up the driveway and I saw a calf trying to nurse and the cow would just keep walking. I kept watching and she gave him a round house kick to the ground.

I got out and went over to see who was who and I realized it was the bull calf and #376 which has a heifer calf.

They'll probably even out. Our first year calving was the only time bulls outnumbered heifers. Ever since it's pretty much 50/50.

BTW that's a way cool looking barn!

Thanks. That barn was let go by the previous owner and we had it fixed. Big hand hewn beams in it and it's pretty old. People stopped by and said they were glad we fixed it.

Also, heifer #57 had hers today. Another heifer calf. 🤣 Count is 6 heifers, 1 bull. Three to go so it might be close.

FA9900BA-2FE9-4435-A111-B821A8B7CF23.jpeg

Well heifer #85 had hers Sunday night. She was the last one to do so. They all had until the end of May so all but her is staying. I will let her raise her calf and then she is leaving. I can't complain really, all the heifers had their calves without assistance and are being good mothers. Just one was a few days late.

You guys probably get tired of seeing this thread pop up over the year. Lol. Calves are not long from being sold. Not bad for sire being +16 ced and -2.0 bw. As mentioned a hundred times these calves ranged in the 40-50 pound range. No grain for calves or cows. Just fescue and weeds and unfertilized hay. I do have one dink out of the group. The cow cannot make it here in heat and fescue so she is getting shipped considering everyone else did fine.

IMG_4198.jpeg

IMG_4201.jpeg

You guys probably get tired of seeing this thread pop up over the year. Lol. Calves are not long from being sold. Not bad for sire being +16 ced and -2.0 bw. As mentioned a hundred times these calves ranged in the 40-50 pound range. No grain for calves or cows. Just fescue and weeds and unfertilized hay. I do have one dink out of the group. The cow cannot make it here in heat and fescue so she is getting shipped considering everyone else did fine.

View attachment 35282

View attachment 35283
The big question is... what are those calves going to weigh weight adjusted to 205 days?

You're fairly close, so the weaning weights will tell the tale.

The big question is... what are those calves going to weigh weight adjusted to 205 days?

You're fairly close, so the weaning weights will tell the tale.

It really doesn't make a difference to me. For them being first calves out of smaller/moderate sized females that have had to pretty much rough it on low quality forage, no grain, low bw bull….I think they did pretty well. So when were "telling the tale" lets make sure we have all the story factored in.

It really doesn't make a difference to me. For them being first calves out of smaller/moderate sized females that have had to pretty much rough it on low quality forage, no grain, low bw bull….I think they did pretty well. So when were "telling the tale" lets make sure we have all the story factored in.
I couldn't agree more...

And let's not make excuses for the results if different choices may have had a better outcome.

We're all in this together. All here to discuss and learn. If you're comfortable with 40# calves that wean at 400#, out of moderate framed heifers, that doesn't mean I can't learn something from it and make different choices. I understand the urge to have trouble free calving and to go easy on a heifer... but that is also opposed to having capable cows that can birth a 90/100# calf later on and wean a calf at 600 or more pounds. We are all here to pay the bills.

I couldn't agree more...

And let's not make excuses for the results if different choices may have had a better outcome.

We're all in this together. All here to discuss and learn. If you're comfortable with 40# calves that wean at 400#, out of moderate framed heifers, that doesn't mean I can't learn something from it and make different choices. I understand the urge to have trouble free calving and to go easy on a heifer... but that is also opposed to having capable cows that can birth a 90/100# calf later on and wean a calf at 600 or more pounds. We are all here to pay the bills.

Do you have pictures of your herd and calves? Also a cost break down of inputs along with weaning weight on the calves? I'd like to see the cows, calves, bull(s) and see what I could do here differently although it will be stretch to wean over 600 pounds on the inputs that are available here.

Do you have pictures of your herd and calves? Also a cost break down of inputs along with weaning weight on the calves? I'd like to see the cows, calves, bull(s) and see what I could do here differently although it will be stretch to wean over 600 pounds on the inputs that are available here.
I'm not interested in a pissing match. I'm curious to know what your 40/50 pound calves will weigh at sale. I've already complimented one of your heifers. They look like good animals that I'd have owned on my southern ranch. All I'm saying is that I'm curious about your weaning weights from 40# calves. Especially as I've never supplemented either. I'm sure others here would like to know too.