first of the year

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
well at least for me anyway. out checking on cows and found a first calf heifer with her water broke and feet showing. she was pretty restless and not showing any signs of pushing. since i didn't know when she actually started calving, i thought i should help her out. usually pull calves with the cow on a rope, but this moring i opted to pull the calf with her in the chute. everything went well - 1/2 blood bull calf in the range of 80 lbs. (didn't have time to weigh as i needed to get on to work). what was so unusual, during the entire pulling process i never noticed the heifer push- not once. apparently the birthing hadn't been going on too long when i found her as the calf was still in very good condition even after a pretty good pull. my first thought is to cull the first calf heifer, but my second thought is to give her one more try next year.

ROB

so glad that you found the heifer.an was able to get the calf pulled before you went to work.

I would give her another try as long as she's mothering the calf. She was probably just stressed and not completely sure what to do.

Latest posts