First "Hereford" calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
While I was checking on the cows last Thursday, I got a pleasant surprise from a red baldy heifer. She gave me a beautiful heifer calf that resemble Hereford. Actually the calf should be almost 5/8th Hereford, 3/8th black angus and to be honest I don't know where the extra white on legs come from. But at least shes healthy and possibly will be kept as replacement.

[image]275[/image]
[image]278[/image]
[image]277[/image]

We have several BWF, and red baldy cows, and its not uncommon for their calves out of Hereford bulls to have quite a bit of white and look pretty much like a straight Hereford. Sometimes the BWF cows will have a BWF calf with white neck and or white legs. Genetically those calves are close to or 3/4 Hereford.
Oh and by the way, welcome to the Hereford club.

Ky hills said:
We have several BWF, and red baldy cows, and its not uncommon for their calves out of Hereford bulls to have quite a bit of white and look pretty much like a straight Hereford. Sometimes the BWF cows will have a BWF calf with white neck and or white legs. Genetically those calves are close to or 3/4 Hereford.
Oh and by the way, welcome to the Hereford club.
Thank you! I just cant believe this heifer just had her unassisted and I weighted the calf. 98lbs! Of course she decided to have her in middle of blizzard so that is why she is in the bathroom. I reunited the calf with her mother in stall for two days till the snowstorm quits. Let them out with the herd today. Its interesting to see the herd's reaction to the Hereford calf as our cows are used to blacks, reds and belties but not Hereford calf with lot of white.

i worked for a guy one time who bought a holstein calf to put on a heifer who lost her calf....he only kept them up a day or two and they were not very well bonded and he put em out with the other heifers with calves....those heifers chased that calf with the intent of killing it. I had a heck of a time catching the cow again to put back up with the calf...after a week or so we were able to turn them out without too much drama....and the calf and cow were bonded and the calf stayed with her new mama.

pdfangus said:
i worked for a guy one time who bought a holstein calf to put on a heifer who lost her calf....he only kept them up a day or two and they were not very well bonded and he put em out with the other heifers with calves....those heifers chased that calf with the intent of killing it. I had a heck of a time catching the cow again to put back up with the calf...after a week or so we were able to turn them out without too much drama....and the calf and cow were bonded and the calf stayed with her new mama.

Years ago when I had Charolais, the first calf we lost, I grafted a Holstein calf onto the cow. I kept them up probably 3 to 4 weeks before turning them out with the others. The other cows didn't seem to try hurt the calf but sure didn't know what to think about him either. He did stay on the outskirts of the herd for a few days before finally absorbing into it.

98 lbs from a heifer is impressive, congrats! We have the quintessential red headed step child, compliments of the neighbors bull, and I would love nothing more than for her to surprise me with another red baldie (odds are not in my favor). Love that cow & have kept every one of her heifers, currently on her 7th!

Latest posts