First heat wave loss?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
2nd calf cow just miscarried - I think - 37 days early. Does heat stress do that? Never seen it before here. Cattle weren't be worked or anything, but is sure is hot.

Probably didn't help anything. Been waiting for things like that here, but nothing yet. Just how hot is it there.

Sizmic

Heat index 103 right now at 10 pm. It's supposed to peak tomorrow.

I know its hard . I hate it when it gets cold and windy . Cold to me is anything under 40 degrees . But it always seems colder with 90% humidity .

We see alot of heat stress out here as we typically have around a month of days over 100 degrees. Abortion rates do go up but it's always on cows that were more prone to having a problem without the heat stress. If it's hot enough to kill a late term pregnancy, it's likely hot enough to kill the whole cow.
Two summers ago we had a week of 110 plus heat that killed around two percent of our holstein population and breeding was at a standstill but developing embroyos weren't hit all that bad.

When we first started out over twenty years ago we were purchasing cattle from up north and out west and found that the first year we lost some calves. I realized that it was the heat, these cattle just weren't accustomed to the heat and humidity they were experiencing and they just couldn't perform. The good news is after a year or so they did actually adjust but we did lose some calves. Hopefull the heat will ease up on you I have heard it is really hot and when your not used to that kind of heat it is hard on humans and cattle. When you guys get on here talking about the cold, now that is what I can't handle, if it gets into the 40's I think it is time to hibernate, I don't know how yall handle the cold and snow. I pray that this heat wave will break for you soon!

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

I have one that should calve any day now, it's been over 100 heat index, the calf is still alive and kicking though. :banana: I can't wait for 40 degree temperatures, i really don't care much for all this heat.

Yeah, I'm looking at the whole pen of breds sideways now. Hoping there's not another shoe that falls. I kinda think something else must've combined with the heat though. I called about getting the calf posted, but the vets I spoke with said it was unlikely anything "findable". The stage of pregnancy, my vaccination program, the condition of the calf when born (not degraded at all), led them to think it was just one of those things. What has me scratching my head though is that last year I had another calve 30 days early (different cow) - but it lived.

Had a 77 pound heifer born Friday, at least it cooled of in the low 90's long enough for her to calve.

Latest posts