First Hay cut

Help Support CattleToday:

jersey lilly

Reaction score
We started cuttin friday evenin and ran outta daylight, finished up cuttin yesterday afternoon...looks to be a decent cuttin for the drought we've had.

2006-04-08-029.jpg

2006-04-08-035.jpg

LOL I have been watchin the forecast, and also the "big boys" one's that bale nothin but hay for a livin and they were layin it down also.....so figgered it was time to get busy. After about Tuesday.....let er rip!!!!!

Wasn't quite dry enuff yesterday afternoon (monday). Rakes hooked up, and balers hooked up...gonna roll it up this afternoon.

That looks real good. Did you fertilizer it at all? We layed down our 1st field on Wednesday and Thursday and we baled it up on Sunday. Should start on the main field this coming week. What was your bale per acre ratio this year JL? We didn't do too good, unfertilized field though, about a bale per acre. What is normal though on a year that hasn't been so dry?

They've started baling oats here.. haven't seen anyone cutting rye grass yet. Hopefully we'll get some rain in the next 40 - 45 days, so we can start baling coastal.

Well we started rakin and balin, and had nothin but trouble with equipment...had to make a run to town for a chain for the baler, the rake wantin to bog up and not turn thru the thick stuff......we'll try to get it finished up tomorrow. I"ll let ya know how many per acre. Usually we get 4 or 5 big round bales per acre. The field was fertilized in the fall with chicken litter 400 lbs per acre.

Yeah, I know all about problems. To make a long story short, while I was baling the last pasture a bale got hung up int the baler (my fault :oops: ) and I busted a hydraulic line under the dash in the tracter. I was coverered in hot hydraulic fluid in a matter of seconds.

I sure would like to get some of that fertilizer next time around though ;-)

Latest posts