First generation farmer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thats an amazing website. Looks like 51,52 and a little 53. Which doesn't look good according to this. Am I missing reading this info?
So the color rating somewhat is based off of the area of interest and a ranking of the soils, the best soil series in the area of interest gets the best color. You can also web search each soil series and find a helpful description, for instance if it has a rock layer 100cm deep. You can look up pH on the chemical properties tab in web soil survey and should get an idea of wether or not the soil will need lime. You can look up soil organic matter and help figure out how much phosphorus and nitrogen will be mineralized, and to some degree if you will need much boron or sulfur. You can look up the action exchange capacity and have some insight into fertilizer leaching, you can figure out water holding capacity which has irrigation implications. Those are just a few things off the top of my head, the reason behind soil classification is often important. Salinity is important to know, some types of grass will die in saline soils, and there are variety's of alfafa bred to succeed in salinity.

Just throwing this out ther. This week, and remember it's just Thursday. I've had a blown head gasket, a new radiator, 4 tractor tires, and $350 in fuel. All of those kinds of expenses are hard to calculate.

Prices go up and are hard to budget, unforeseen expenses come from every angle. We replaced two rear tractor tires this week, going to have brakes put on another tractor in the coming weeks. Unfortunately about any project you do usually involves more expense whether it's a breakdown or one thing leads to another thing that needs doing , or at least that's how it is here.

I've had a blown head gasket, a new radiator, 4 tractor tires, and $350 in fuel.

Not to get off of the topic at hand, (but I guess I am) how did you know you needed the radiator? I have a tractor that is overheating and have flushed and cleaned the radiator, it is still overheating, at this point, it has to be the radiator or water pump. No rust in the radiator when I flushed it and the fins look moderately good.

Just throwing this out ther. This week, and remember it's just Thursday. I've had a blown head gasket, a new radiator, 4 tractor tires, and $350 in fuel. All of those kinds of expenses are hard to calculate.
That is very true.
That's very true. And it would be older equipment. I have 10g for repairs but I can easily see how that wouldn't be enough. I can fix most things myself it would just be about the timing. Since I wouldn't have any backup equipment.

So the color rating somewhat is based off of the area of interest and a ranking of the soils, the best soil series in the area of interest gets the best color. You can also web search each soil series and find a helpful description, for instance if it has a rock layer 100cm deep. You can look up pH on the chemical properties tab in web soil survey and should get an idea of wether or not the soil will need lime. You can look up soil organic matter and help figure out how much phosphorus and nitrogen will be mineralized, and to some degree if you will need much boron or sulfur. You can look up the action exchange capacity and have some insight into fertilizer leaching, you can figure out water holding capacity which has irrigation implications. Those are just a few things off the top of my head, the reason behind soil classification is often important. Salinity is important to know, some types of grass will die in saline soils, and there are variety's of alfafa bred to succeed in salinity.
I have been reading about all of that today and I think I just need to do a soil test and figure out where it is. Its very confusing stuff :)

I wouldn't be afraid of buying the land. As long as you pay a fair market price, and don't lose a bunch of money year to year, you will typically come out okay as land values have a good track record of going up. Agricultural land is also one of the best hedges against inflation. I just payed a farm off this year and in its ten years it has tripled in value.

Latest posts