First Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

SkinMan

Reaction score
I've been building a herd up for the last few years. The other day I had a cow reject her calf. I put the calf in a temporary pen in my yard, and I've been feeding her 2 quarts of powdered milk mix three times a day. She is drinking every bit of it and acting like she wants more.
This is the first calf that I have had to take care of, and I'm looking for advice to make sure she gets the proper nutrition and care that she needs.
She is about a 60 lb Charolais calf. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

SkinMan":1qf8k2uk said:
I've been building a herd up for the last few years. The other day I had a cow reject her calf. I put the calf in a temporary pen in my yard, and I've been feeding her 2 quarts of powdered milk mix three times a day. She is drinking every bit of it and acting like she wants more.
This is the first calf that I have had to take care of, and I'm looking for advice to make sure she gets the proper nutrition and care that she needs.

Did the calf get any colostrum from its mother? Or, did you milk the mother for the colostrum and feed it to the calf? If not, you might have a tough road ahead of you...not an impossible one, but a tough one.

By powdered milk, do you mean milk replacer? If so, make sure the milk replacer is at least 20% protein/20% fat and is made of milk and milk byproducts...not soy.

You said you are feeding the calf 2 quarts 3 times a day. We normally give that much to a calf 2 times a day. Were it me, I wouldn't give a full 2 quarts at each feeding since the calf only weighs 60 pounds. Since you've already begun feeding the calf 3 times a day (and, frankly I'm beginning to think that's better than only twice a day), I'd give maybe 3 pints twice a day and if you think she needs it, maybe 2 pints for the third feeding. See how the calf adjusts to that and in a couple of weeks, go ahead and give the calf 2 quarts twice a day and continue the 2 pints for the 3rd feeding.

Also, I'd give that calf some probios at least once a day. And, I'd give the calf some vitamin A,E,D and B 12. Make sure you have plenty of fresh water out for the calf and in a few days, put out a litt (very little) dry calf feed and a little bermuda grass type hay.

Now, this is what I would do...just my thoughts.

Alice

Be sure the milk replacer powder you are using is made from real milk and milk by-products. The replacers made primarily from soy are not nearly as good. Make sure it is at least 20% protein and fat. Follow the instructions on the bag. If the calf is taking 3 two-quart bottles a day without getting the 'squirts', then keep it at that for a while. I would not increase the amount for a couple of weeks. You will get differing opinions on some of this based on all our different experiences. After it is about a week old, give her a good calf starter feed, leave it with her for her to start nibbleing at as well as grass and good quality hay and fresh clean water.

Some folks wean them off the milk replacer at 8 weeks, some wait longer. I have weaned some at 8 and some I have weaned at 12 or a little longer depending on how the calf is doing.

I trust she did get some colostrum? She will do better if she did. I've had a couple do okay without it, but it was a struggle at first.

Do a search of this site using the key words bottle calves, bottle feeding, bottle babies etc and you will get lots of hits with lots of advice and suggestions as well as suggestions for treating scours.

Good luck with the calf.

Katherine

Here is a pic of her.

Cows_055.jpg

I'm giving her Purina Milk Replacer. I did not milk the cow to feed the calf for the first time, but I did give her a mix of antibodies and colostrum from the vet.
Thanks Alice and Katherine for the replys!

SkinMan":crf8kt3s said:
I'm giving her Purina Milk Replacer. I did not milk the cow to feed the calf for the first time, but I did give her a mix of antibodies and colostrum from the vet.
Thanks Alice and Katherine for the replys!

Sounds like she'ss off to a good start. I am not familiar with the Purina product. I use Cow's Match, I believe it's made by Land-O-Lakes.

You're welcome.

Katherine

That is a nice calf. Thanks for the pic...I can look at baby calves all day long. ;-)

I've used purina and like it. When we have a lot of calves, however, I use martindale. Purina mixes so much better and has about 2% more protein.

Katherine, I wish we had a retailer her for the Land o Lakes. I've read about it, and would like to try it. I'm afraid, however, if I were to order it and try it, I'd like it so much that I'd be scrambling all over the place trying to keep it in stock. And, frankly, the martindale is cheaper, and it's good 20/20 stuff.

Alice

Alice,
I was browsing through post on this board last week and came across the pic of the black and white calf you and your husband bought for $17.50. About the time that I was looking at your calf's picture, my 7 year old daughter came in our office and saw the calf on the computer. She had a fit over it. She made me read what you had written about it, and then made me print out both pictures of it. The next day, she took the pictures to show and tell for her 2nd grade class.

Just thought you would get a kick out of that!!

Kenny

SkinMan":2w7aitiw said:
Alice,
I was browsing through post on this board last week and came across the pic of the black and white calf you and your husband bought for $17.50. About the time that I was looking at your calf's picture, my 7 year old daughter came in our office and saw the calf on the computer. She had a fit over it. She made me read what you had written about it, and then made me print out both pictures of it. The next day, she took the pictures to show and tell for her 2nd grade class.

Just thought you would get a kick out of that!!

Kenny

:D Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Kenny. You are so right, I did get a kick outta that. I made my husband turn down the TV so I could read it to him...and he told me I'd need to take some more pics of it and send them to her. Your daughter has a good eye for a pretty calf, huh! ;-) Give her a hug for me. :)

Alice

SkinMan":2yoe08xn said:

Cute calf! Unusual color for a Charlois, but nice looking little heifer. Looks like you're doing good with this calf! Try putting a little calf starter or C.O.B. in front of her, but hold off on the hay til she is about a week old because she won't really eat it until then. You might try putting a very small flake or partial flake in front of her, though. If she wants more milk, you might consider increasing her milk by a pint every two or three feedings, and watch her for scours. If she starts getting loose, back her off on the milk replacer. That's what I do with mine - they get 2 gallons of milk replacer a day until they are eating good, then I gradually back them down to a gallon/day until I wean them.

ain't nothing cuter than a big eyed girl

dj":2fy9x3w5 said:

To make me act so funny, make me spend my money
Make me feel real loose like a long necked goose
Like a--oh baby, that's a-what I like!

dun

dun":2bz9x39j said:
dj":2bz9x39j said:

dun

The Big Bopper is back.
;-) This is almost like telling our age.

KenB":6gyofe6g said:
dun":6gyofe6g said:
dj":6gyofe6g said:

dun

The Big Bopper is back.

He started it

Anyone remember Guy Drake "Welfare Cadillac"?

dun

Now i know what my problem has been for all these years !! ya mean the big bopper was talking about a cow???? darn !!

dun":k3f37r73 said:
KenB":k3f37r73 said:
dun":k3f37r73 said:
dj":k3f37r73 said:

dun

The Big Bopper is back.

He started it

Anyone remember Guy Drake "Welfare Cadillac"?

dun
we are not going there Dun :lol: :lol:

Latest posts