First bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MartinFarms

Reaction score
This will be my 4th calving season and this will be my Balancer bulls 2nd set of calves. When I purchased him I knew very little of EPDS and how to evaluate a bull so I know he has many flaws. I am retaining heifers from him and my biggest concern is his low CED coming Cherokee Canyon. His reg. number is AMGV1155228. My goal is to retain heifers and build a herd of gelbvieh/red angus. Let me know what you think you won't hurt my feelings. The blazed face steer in the first picture weighed 535 at just a touch over 6 months and brought 1.70.

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...seanmartin0227/IMG_7836_zps93fd10da.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1274.photobucket.com/u...seanmartin0227/IMG_7854_zpsa62cb75a.jpg[/img][/url]

He's not bad. Looks a little short and a little narrow in the back end. But that may be the picture. If he has calved well for you that's sure a plus. I really like that blazed face calf, he's pretty nice, the 535lbs at 6 months seems a little light though.

Mr Martin I am gonna give you the unvarnished truth. Whoever bred that combination together should be shot. :dunce: What you have is a terminal bull. He throws nice calves and his CE is just fine in fact almost heifer numbers. His growth is not spectacular but good enuf.

The real problem is that they doubled down on the terrible CED and bred you a time bomb. You can keep his dtrs if you want but i will tell you for a fact I would not.

If you do decide to keep them you should have pelvic scores done on every one you decide to keep, and for the next 3 or 4 generations afterward. You also need to breed to something with extremely high CED,.... FOREVER. :shock: If you want to keep heifers out of your cows then have them AI'd to balancer or GV bulls with much better CED scores in the future and use him for a cleanup bull till he's done.

Ch Canyon alone would be OK as this bulls grandfather but his sire has worse numbers for CED than his dam. :frowns:

I for one am happy to see you going the GV/Balancer route you just need to get off that spur track and back on the main line!. :tiphat:

........and BTW his a$$ is just fine. :roll:

Thank you 3Way! After learning more about his numbers I realized his CED was not to be desired. I plan on breeding him one more time and purchasing a bull in the fall from TJB Gelbvieh annual sale. I live in North Georgia about 10 minutes from Chattanooga Tn. I am currently trying to locate an A.I course and begin a.i this upcoming year.

Thanks,
Sean Martin

I know the numbers are just a tool but other than CED what other numbers should I concentrate on to have a balanced animal with maternal qualities?
Thanks,
Sean Martin

MartinFarms":1zht73nb said:
I know the numbers are just a tool but other than CED what other numbers should I concentrate on to have a balanced animal with maternal qualities?
Thanks,
Sean Martin

Milk 22 to 28 is fine anymore than that and other problems start to pop up. TM the 50 range is what you want. Avoid extremes is you can. Fire and Ice gives you fire or ice. Not ice water.

Latest posts