First Bull Purchase (Picture)

Help Support CattleToday:

bpwagner115

Reaction score
Well after a long 2 months of attending bull sales and trying to decide I finally bought one to put back on our Angus-based cows. He is a 3/4 blood Simmental sired by Yardley High Regard. Dam was a daughter out of 3C Macho.

Sire info is here

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Simmental/ ... d%20LR.pdf

BW 88
WW 835
YW 1335

890_3_.jpg

He seems a little posty and maybe it's just the camera angle but his legs seem to be disproportionately long compared to say his capacity and heart girth. He has a good shoulder and some impressive individual numbers though,

Thanks guys for not being too rough on him. I definitely know he isn't perfect. Now that I look at his sire it seems he has a little of the same in regards to his rear legs. I would certainly like for more girth or depth as he looks a little narrow....I have heard that isn't uncommon from 3c macho to get a little tubular.

He was born April 15 so he is celebrating his 1st birthday today!

Congratulation on your first bull!

At times we all tend to forget that bulls have different uses in different herds. Personally I don't see him as a cow maker, but if you have the cows he may well end up a decent terminal sire, straight hocks and all. Would I have bought him? No, but I do know that at times you have to make do with what you can afford (and find) at the time.

I have seen far worse yearlings end up pretty good breeding sires and far better ones ending up as duds as breeding sires.

He will likely be a strictly terminal bull, as we are looking to add pounds to smaller framed, deeper bodied angus cows.

This guy is out of vermillion dateline and has left us some terrific cows.

84.jpg

I think you're on the right track. That Simangus bull will put alot of pounds onto those little black cows and the calves will be predominately angus so they'll be well recieved at sale time.

I agree that you should like the results from the Bull. Looks like he should grow into a big guy.

fitz

Latest posts