First 2018 Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Supa Dexta":kd177g9z said:
You can't overpull by hand.

Fat cows are lazy pushers.

You can do damage hand pulling. I am the unfortunate witness to it. Maybe they grow wimps up there but I watched a big hillbilly, put one foot on each side of a heifer's azz, grab the chains with hands the size of a catcher's mits and pull a calf out. I was pleading my case that we needed to take our time and change the angle. If you pull hard enough and don't use proper methods, you can definitely do damage pulling by hand.

The calf is doing great:
2cii34y.jpg

Supa Dexta":11z9m3i3 said:
And what was the damage?

If the chains are on proper, I state again, YOU aren't going to over pull a calf.

Even with the chains properly attached above the carpals and at the phalanges, the same damage that improper use of a jack can cause can also be experienced with improper hand pulling. Cervical tears, uterine artery lacerations, soft tissue damage, etc.

There are several good YouTube videos on this.

In my experience with the presentation as it should be for a delivery and well lubed and the force that I could physically apply I would think it unlikely to cause any major damage. I do concede that there are people a lot stronger than me.

Ken

wbvs58":3iko538k said:
In my experience with the presentation as it should be for a delivery and well lubed and the force that I could physically apply I would think it unlikely to cause any major damage. I do concede that there are people a lot stronger than me.

Ken

A few years ago, I ask my neighbor to help me pull a calf from a heifer. He is stout. He put one foot on each side of the heifer's azz. We put chains on the front feet. I have the cross bar that hooks to each chain. The presentation was normal. He simply used brute force and pulled the calf out. The calf was over 100 pounds. I don't remember the weight. After she got up, she was bleeding. I called the vet. Before he could get a hemostat on the uterine artery, she dropped dead in the chute. The calf was delivered dead.

Obviously, the procedure was poor. But you can certainly do damage by hand pulling.

Bright Raven":1yl7qyol said:
wbvs58":1yl7qyol said:

Ken

A few years ago, I ask my neighbor to help me pull a calf from a heifer. He is stout. He put one foot on each side of the heifer's azz. We put chains on the front feet. I have the cross bar that hooks to each chain. The presentation was normal. He simply used brute force and pulled the calf out. The calf was over 100 pounds. I don't remember the weight. After she got up, she was bleeding. I called the vet. Before he could get a hemostat on the uterine artery, she dropped dead in the chute. The calf was delivered dead.

Obviously, the procedure was poor. But you can certainly do damage by hand pulling.

I stand corrected Ron but then this wasn't me pulling. They can also do damage to themselves with no one pulling.

Ken

Latest posts