Bright Raven

Reaction score
Hooks Broadway heifer.
Due 8/31/2018
DOB 8/25/2018
Gestation 279 days
Weight 97 pounds
Assisted with chains did not use jack.

I gave the cow 3 hours from onset of labor. Feet and head came when pulling while she pushed. Calf got hung at the hips. I was concerned with over pulling. Calf was breathing fine. I twisted the calf until the hips were vertical. I pulled from that position and the calf came with a firm pull.

Calf has a nice shaped head. All black. Odd. With the chrome on this cow, I expected some white. However, this cow is one of my half bloods so the Angus may be having an influence on the lack of chrome
2ptxgs8.jpg

34zm0s1.jpg

A live calf is a good calf. 97 lb and early, we can't handle that non sense here. We've had quite a few baldie calves out of straight Angus bulls this year. I guess it's all in how the genes line up. You better breed that calf to a proven low birth weight bull like Uno Mas or a LBW Angus.

True Grit Farms":37o7xe0q said:
A live calf is a good calf. 97 lb and early, we can't handle that non sense here. We've had quite a few baldie calves out of straight Angus bulls this year. I guess it's all in how the genes line up. You better breed that calf to a proven low birth weight bull like Uno Mas or a LBW Angus.

I agree. Vince, I don't plan to use Broadway this winter. I just don't like having to assist cows like this.

Nice long face. What was the weight of her first calf? This cow is one you rolled from Spring to fall, correct? You have always had "larger than most" birth weights at your farm, so that weight does not worry me. You know I am not a fan of Uno Mas, but Cowboy Cut is a "sleep at night" calving ease bull you will get some experience with here in the next month.....

Fire Sweep Ranch":1a70gw90 said:
Nice long face. What was the weight of her first calf? This cow is one you rolled from Spring to fall, correct? You have always had "larger than most" birth weights at your farm, so that weight does not worry me. You know I am not a fan of Uno Mas, but Cowboy Cut is a "sleep at night" calving ease bull you will get some experience with here in the next month.....

Yes, she was rolled over. Her last calf was an Uno Mas bull. 75 pounds. He was very common and I banded him at about a month old and sold him as a feeder. I have had a couple nice Uno Mas calves - as you know - Reina and Miss Adorable.

Bright Raven":5wndevbx said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":5wndevbx said:

Yes, she was rolled over. Her last calf was an Uno Mas bull. 75 pounds. He was very common and I banded him at about a month old and sold him as a feeder. I have had a couple nice Uno Mas calves - as you know - Reina and Miss Adorable.
Uno Mas is supposedly a cow maker. But his offspring has produced some really nice animals with consistent results. Ron, 75 lbs is perfect for a heifer IMO. Go for a home run on her next calf like you did on this one. Sometimes you hit it out other times you strike out. Just remember Broadway is only half of the mating.

Nice calf.. yeah, BW a little high, but on a cow of her size I'd not have expected a problem.. Good luck with the rest of the season!

Nesikep":152nspm1 said:
Nice calf.. yeah, BW a little high, but on a cow of her size I'd not have expected a problem.. Good luck with the rest of the season!

Thanks. Got 15 more coming in the next 6 weeks. One cow slipped her pregnancy and I put an embryo in her.

But you are right on! Fire Sweep and I thought this cow is the size and build that would handle a Broadway calf. I bred 2 other big cows to Broadway. Two more due in a couple weeks.

There is also the question if she needed assistance. It was a judgement call. I gave her 3 hours. After 3 hours, I put her in the facility. Presentation was correct. At that point, I put chains on and gave her some help. Got the front out by a combination of her pushing and me pulling. Then the hips locked. I twisted the calf and it unlocked the hips. I said they were vertical when I pulled but in retrospect, probably more diagonal.

Assistance is a judgement call.

I probably help a few that don't need it, especially first timers.. same with getting them nursing.. Once they've got it, then I can stop watching them and going stir crazy, and get on with the rest of my day... and if anything goes wrong later I don't have to second guess myself and wonder if it got colostrum, etc.. I know with certainty.

Put em on a diet Ron! Fat cows have more calving issues. Pretend they're bears and don't feed em till next spring :deadhorse:

Great looking heifer. Great looking calf. She probably would've popped him on out on her own. But I'm guilty as anyone. I usually err on the side of helping to quick. After I see the feet she's got an hour tops or I'm going in to help. Biggest problem I face is I don't live on the farm where the cows are. So if I show up to check and ones in labor I don't usually know how long she's been in labor and I get kinda antsy. No harm no foul. Hope the rest go smooth for you.

Good looking calf and cow.

I really look forward to seeing the rest of your calves. Be sure to post pics.

Bright Raven":3if9bimn said:
Nesikep":3if9bimn said:

Thanks. Got 15 more coming in the next 6 weeks. One cow slipped her pregnancy and I put an embryo in her.

But you are right on! Fire Sweep and I thought this cow is the size and build that would handle a Broadway calf. I bred 2 other big cows to Broadway. Two more due in a couple weeks.

There is also the question if she needed assistance. It was a judgement call. I gave her 3 hours. After 3 hours, I put her in the facility. Presentation was correct. At that point, I put chains on and gave her some help. Got the front out by a combination of her pushing and me pulling. Then the hips locked. I twisted the calf and it unlocked the hips. I said they were vertical when I pulled but in retrospect, probably more diagonal.

Assistance is a judgement call.
Bears repeating. But I'd rather jump in too soon than too late. Good job twisting the calf - just that little bit of help makes a huge difference. And there's no such thing as too much lube in a situation like that. Congrats on your big boy and here's hoping the other 2 Broadway girls do just fine.

wbvs58":da7mc8zz said:
I would be very surprised if it really did need pulling Ron.

Ken

Yes. Me too. But what do you do? I wish there was a way to know if they need the help.

Bright Raven":2li3cp7d said:
wbvs58":2li3cp7d said:

Ken

Yes. Me too. But what do you do? I wish there was a way to know if they need the help.

Ron, I'm really disappointed in you. Considering how much time as you've spent with your girls, I would have thought that by now communication skills between y'all would have improved :lol2:

JMJ Farms":izpga9ml said:
Bright Raven":izpga9ml said:
wbvs58":izpga9ml said:

Ken

Ron, I'm really disappointed in you. Considering how much time as you've spent with your girls, I would have thought that by now communication skills between y'all would have improved :lol2:

She was telling me to leave her alone. She said, "I can do this". I was just not convinced enough to take that risk.

:lol:

3 hours is a long time especially for it being her second calf. If I get a heifer to the catch pen because she's in labor we're having a calf asap. I'm done waiting on a dead calf. We've had two backwards calfs from cows that we know of but both ended up pushing them out alive. Had a tail sticking out the back of a heifer that I had to rope and push the calf back in and pull the feet out first, calf was doa, cow has had 3 calves problem free since.

Nice looking pair. I'm quite an impatient when it comes to calving. Had several times, when if have checked earlier, would have saved a calf or even a cow herself. So better safe than sorry.

Latest posts