Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Yesterday at this time it was over 85 degrees here. We could see smoke from six different wildfires from the yard. Today it's about 70 degrees, only one fire is still going, and even a few raindrops have fallen. Boy, we need the rain.

dry and it seems all the idiots are out -

there are arson fires everywhere around here (I'm only 5 miles from Oklahoma) my Dad's cousin lost a barn full of bermuda bales a couple of weeks ago - definite arson - ugh!

it must be really fun burning up someone else's money! :mad:

Fire has been the big scare around here for some time.
Lost a whole town by fire just north of me. Ringold Tx.

Cal

Monday down here we had about 1800 acres in two seperate fires in my county burn. A little over a dozen homes were in danger, but we didn't lose any. Several lost their grass in their yards so some were pretty close. At one home where we made a stand a Blackhawk dumping on us got us out of trouble. I don't know who the pilot was, but I sure do thank him.

Heard on the news last night that we have reached "SEVERE DROUGHT" status :eek: ya think? It's been edgey over here to say the least. You know, most years I am scolding myself for letting the place get grazed too low before winter, I spose if I gotta find something positive about not having grass...that would be it? I hope everybody keeps on hangin in there and pray that rain will find us soon and stick around a while.

We still are having some pop ups. We got an inch plus rain and now people think the ban is off. Also they caught some highschool kids setting some in Eastland county. Burned three houses and one fire truck damaged.

Scotty

We have a 50% chance for rain tonight. I've got eyes, toes, and fingers crossed. :) The Arrowhead clover and rye grass would come out if it could get a drink. I guess the winter wheat is going to be a bust this spring, too. I really don't understand the fires. We've had droughts and we always have wind, but no old timers can remember these problems with fires.

okwalker":3j2kfvdg said:
Monday down here we had about 1800 acres in two seperate fires in my county burn. A little over a dozen homes were in danger, but we didn't lose any. Several lost their grass in their yards so some were pretty close. At one home where we made a stand a Blackhawk dumping on us got us out of trouble. I don't know who the pilot was, but I sure do thank him.

I think this year that people are recognizing the value of rural fire departments as never before. One fire fighter is in intensive care at OKC from the fires Wednesday. Several were taken to the hospital. Those guys work hard for not much more than the community's thanks. This year, we can't thank them enough.

Latest posts