Texas wild fires

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":bkwa5g5v said:
bigbull338":bkwa5g5v said:
kenny ive got a friend thats ran dozers for over 50yrs.an he says if they would give him 2 dozers he would get another operrator an they could put the fires out pretty quick.
The fire in Bastrop Co. has jumped the Colorado River twice. Can't see a dozer stopping it in 20-25 mph winds. Lots of pine trees burning and those things are like bombs going off when the fire gets into them.

Dozer aint stopping it when the National Forest was on fire over here is was burning in the tops of the trees, jumping the roads, creeks anything that got in it's way. They finally got it stopped when the wind died down and they were able to come in with D-9's with shear blades and cut a super wide firebreak.

peg4x4":22gcdp1r said:
Pine trees,cedar trees and propane tanks exploding--cars burning and gas tanks going off.. 40mph winds.. no rain since Jan. Texas is burning and we're running out of water. :hide:
peg it's good to hear from you, I was wondering if you were anywhere near the fires, keep safe you and your cats. :nod:
Caustic..hope it stays away from you to...take care.

bigbull338":2zamiu9j said:
kenny ive got a friend thats ran dozers for over 50yrs.an he says if they would give him 2 dozers he would get another operrator an they could put the fires out pretty quick.
Well I can not speak for your friends or his dozers but I have ran dozers on fires for about 30 of my 38 years of firefighting and I have been on fires in both TX and OK that the dozer would not run fast enough with the blade up to keep up with the fires. Until conditions change all they can do is save what lives and houses they can.

I'm ok,but if you can see those photos-I'm about 5 blocks from one side of it--- but there are no pines,cedar or grass.. This has been an experence-I'm gone thro my closet ,found stuff that the calories had made shrink and took that and some foodstuff and a canopener,and small packages of coffee in for those who've lost it all..
By the way-there have been Puma sightings by the river,guess they've been driven out- along with pigs,coyotes,and other wildlife.. Many people going in to get pets and livestock out..
So far we've only lost 2 people -- over 30,000 acres,over 1,000 homes.

kenny thomas":fuz0zvic said:
bigbull338":fuz0zvic said:
Well I can not speak for your friends or his dozers but I have ran dozers on fires for about 30 of my 38 years of firefighting and I have been on fires in both TX and OK that the dozer would not run fast enough with the blade up to keep up with the fires. Until conditions change all they can do is save what lives and houses they can.
He77 KT
you and I both know all ya need is a leaf rake and a water can and you could have all them fires put out in a few hrs or BBs buddy and his dozers and it would take even less
They are just making a big TODO about a little Brush fire
I bet this is all a set up and they are gonna have it set to where the BIG O comes in and pi$$es on it to put it out and then he can brag to the world how great he is and all the people on the gov't dole will praise him as the GREAT GOD he thinks he is
I sure don't envy guys like you KT who do this all the time
I have ran a dozer in fires enough to know it sure isn't something I want to do unless absolutely neccesary
May god bless all the people in its path and all the men and women who work trying to get it under control you have my greatest respect even if you are an old cattle jockey from Virginny
i sure ain't talking about the One who thinks he is god in the whitehouse

Caustic Burno":1cd7d8c6 said:
TexasBred":1cd7d8c6 said:
bigbull338":1cd7d8c6 said:
The fire in Bastrop Co. has jumped the Colorado River twice. Can't see a dozer stopping it in 20-25 mph winds. Lots of pine trees burning and those things are like bombs going off when the fire gets into them.

Dozer aint stopping it when the National Forest was on fire over here is was burning in the tops of the trees, jumping the roads, creeks anything that got in it's way. They finally got it stopped when the wind died down and they were able to come in with D-9's with shear blades and cut a super wide firebreak.
CB, from what i have seen of the big thicket, i am not sure anything would put one out until conditions change. If it was windy you could not get me in that place on a fire. I think it is rightly named.

KT there's folks in the Big Thicket that think the Civil War is still going on. Even got indian tribes living there. It's a whole 'nuther world.

CB west of there somewhere on the river was a place that they told us not to go. We were there to help hurricane effected people. We were told they would take care of themselves and not to go there. You have any idea where it was. Only been 3 years but I cant remember, but I did not go there.

kenny thomas":25vtcarx said:
CB west of there somewhere on the river was a place that they told us not to go. We were there to help hurricane effected people. We were told they would take care of themselves and not to go there. You have any idea where it was. Only been 3 years but I cant remember, but I did not go there.

I can think of several does Rockland sound familar?

Yep, darn it sure is easy to forget when you have been to so many different places. Many of the places I have been to either on fires or hurricanes are somewhat unique and I think I will never forget. Now I don't remember part of the names from the hurricane cleanup we done last weekend in Eastern VA.