Fire Extinguishers

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
For those who carry them, what size and type do you recommend for having when round baling. I've been rolling hay since 1980 and never had a bearing catch fire but had one get hot once and have seen a baler that burned. Thinking I should start carrying one.
Guess I need to get out my laser thermometer and check temps sometime.

You need a class "A" fire extinguisher and at least 2.5 gallons. Keep all extra hay grease buildup off the baler will help.

OIP.07zxKQ4rtx28Ntny9cxobQHaFS

Last edited:
My dad saved one with dirt from a gopher mound once....

Our Vermeer came with a water charged extinguisher. Need to dump them in the winter and make sure they're full and pumped up before you hit the field. It's nice to be able to recharge them yourself, but I'm not sure how well they work compared to dry media or CO2.

Yep like others said, a stainless water filled fire extinguisher is what you need. Easy to pressurize with air hose. Just bring it in before winter.
I have that mounted on baler, and a normal fire extinguisher stays in tractor cab behind seat.

Yep like others said, a stainless water filled fire extinguisher is what you need. Easy to pressurize with air hose. Just bring it in before winter.
I have that mounted on baler, and a normal fire extinguisher stays in tractor cab behind seat.
Same here. I discharge the water extinguisher each fall and refill in the spring, figure it's a good idea to verify function each year.

Latest posts