Fire Extinguisher?

Help Support CattleToday:

Got one at TSC a while back to put in my tractor, screwed a piece of 6 in pvc to the side console. It slides in easy and I can get it out quick if needed.

Buy one big enough to put out a fire!!! Some of those little "Kitchen" fire extinguishers will only aggravate you if you had to use it on a baler fire!

TN Cattle Man":18p26jl7 said:
Buy one big enough to put out a fire!!! Some of those little "Kitchen" fire extinguishers will only aggravate you if you had to use it on a baler fire!

for a baler The refillable water 3 gal ones work really well. Don't have to have any chemical type for a grass fire.

I also recommend good insurance on it and if its bad cut loose and protect the field .

M-5":1g47knvh said:
TN Cattle Man":1g47knvh said:

for a baler The refillable water 3 gal ones work really well. Don't have to have any chemical type for a grass fire.

I also recommend good insurance on it and if its bad cut loose and protect the field .

Agreed, the 3 gal water ones are the answer for balers.

JD has them on their balers for a source. Probably very pricy. I used a 2 gallon pump up sprayer in the cab with mine. Only had one fire, a roller bearing went out, even though I check them before I make a run. Luckily I was close to the barn and water and got it put out without any damage. Started carrying water onboard after that.

pricefarm":eny1exhl said:
Where can you get the 3 gal water ones? I need one.

Find a fire extinguisher service company to purchase one from, they will be about half of what an equipment dealer will charge you.

One thing to remember on the water extinguisher is to take care of them before winter. Forgot about them one year, they were frozen and ruined. We now mix a small amount of antifreeze in.

Lots of the little ABC extinguishers you get at places like TSC and Walmart aren't good for very long at all.....whatever the propellant is, it leaks out in about 6 months.
There was a big recall a few months ago on Kidde extinguishers too. Something about clogged nozzles and nozzles that go shooting off into some nether world never to be seen again...... The recall was close to 40 million extinguishers.

Here it is:
https://www.usfa.fema.gov/current_events/110617.html

One thing to remember about dry chemical extinguishers is that after a period of time bouncing around on a piece of equipment the chemical can get so packed in place it won't discharge when you need it, even though the gauge still shows it to be fully charged.

Silver":22sx6xj2 said:
One thing to remember about dry chemical extinguishers is that after a period of time bouncing around on a piece of equipment the chemical can get so packed in place it won't discharge when you need it, even though the gauge still shows it to be fully charged.
True, I was told to periodically shake them up a little to prevent that. I figure with my driving I don't need to :p :roll:

Latest posts