Fire Ants Home Remedy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thinbluelinetx":3bmx0bwq said:
Not trying to be cute, but I've urinated on many fire ant hills and that seems to do the job. I'm not sure if it actually kills them or if they just relocate, but after a day or two there are no more ants.

Hey mommy, what's that guy doing out there in his pasture? Oh, he's killing fire ants, dear....

One thing I've been trying is walking around with my Ruger Blackhawk and firing a 158 gr. hollow point STRAIGHT down into the center of the mound. Seriously. I think the heavier bullet penetrates deeply and the hollow point creates a shock wave that kills the queen. A day or two later the mound's empty. Other than that, sprinkle a teaspoonful of Orthene on live mounds. In the evenings about an hour before sunset, walk around scattering out handfuls of Amdro. You don't need full coverage, they'll find it. I used one can on about 10 acres. No fire ants anywhere for a couple of months.

Ruark":22lwdazy said:
Thinbluelinetx":22lwdazy said:
Not trying to be cute, but I've urinated on many fire ant hills and that seems to do the job. I'm not sure if it actually kills them or if they just relocate, but after a day or two there are no more ants.

Hey mommy, what's that guy doing out there in his pasture? Oh, he's killing fire ants, dear....

One thing I've been trying is walking around with my Ruger Blackhawk and firing a 158 gr. hollow point STRAIGHT down into the center of the mound. Seriously. I think the heavier bullet penetrates deeply and the hollow point creates a shock wave that kills the queen. A day or two later the mound's empty. Other than that, sprinkle a teaspoonful of Orthene on live mounds. In the evenings about an hour before sunset, walk around scattering out handfuls of Amdro. You don't need full coverage, they'll find it. I used one can on about 10 acres. No fire ants anywhere for a couple of months.

Cheaper to just spray the pasture with seven gets the grasshoppers as well . Secondly it removes the chance of having to wear one of them backwards coats.

I picked up a small container of Amdro to try it out as I didn't get to the Co-Op before closing time to get a higher percentage Orthene.

In reading the directions, it specifically says NOT to use where cattle will be grazing, so I used some in the orchard. (I, of course kicked the piles to piss off the ants before putting the granules down :) )

In any event, has anyone used this stuff in their pastures while occupied by their cattle? What about Orthene? Does it have the same precaution?

Doesn't exactly say that, but does say that is is strictly for the use in home lawn and flower beds. Also says "hazardous to humans and pets" in several places.

slick4591":sbuyey71 said:
Doesn't exactly say that, but does say that is is strictly for the use in home lawn and flower beds. Also says "hazardous to humans and pets" in several places.

Just went and looked. It says: Do not graze or feed treated lawn or sod clippings to livestock. Avoid direct exposure animals to Amdro granules.

Pretty much says it is no good for cattle to be around.

Anyone have specific experience with grazing after application?

robertwhite":12m2omhg said:
I freakin' hate these stupid little biting beasts.

Anyone have a home brewed concoction to eliminate them by either pour on or spray on method? Store bought products sure are not cheap and most only work half hearted anyway.
Diatomaceous Earth aka DE
Valerie

vclavin":1cgppotd said:
Diatomaceous Earth aka DE
Valerie

Serious? That would be perfect if it really works. Dirt cheap and safe around animals.

ETA: Just did some reading and it seems that food grade DE is not only good as an insecticide but also as a natural wormer when used as a food additive. Win-Win. :clap:

DE is not as wonderful as it sounds. From another board's discussion about DE

In lab tests it has only shown to have any affect on any insect species in almost zero humidity (well, we are becoming a desert here...but not yet). An insect needs to be coated in it and not come in contact with any moisture/humidity for three weeks to start seeing any mortality rates... It is not harmful at all for your dogs and cats to touch it (it is the skeletons of microrganisims) but it can increase cancer rates if they breath it in. You shouldn't breath it either.

It is one of those things that sounds too good to be true, and is. I am all for organic choices, but DE just doesn't actually do anything. I had bugs on some of my veggies a couple years ago and tried DE and it just got worse, and so I put a bunch of bugs in a jar with DE and shook it daily and watched them live happily for a week before I threw it out.

Make sure your bag is food grade and not for a swimming pool. The pool type is extra dangerous to inhale.

One thing about fire ants is not to disturb them when you are poisoning them. The reason is that most colonies have multiple queens, and if you upset them, they just move. Amdro will not kill on contact. They have to eat it to die. I have had good luck with Bengal Fire Ant Powder. I use it in out yard. Just sprinkle the mound in the morning and let the ants carry the poison inside to their friends.

chippie":u5boexv6 said:
In lab tests it has only shown to have any affect on any insect species in almost zero humidity (well, we are becoming a desert here...but not yet). An insect needs to be coated in it and not come in contact with any moisture/humidity for three weeks to start seeing any mortality rates... It is not harmful at all for your dogs and cats to touch it (it is the skeletons of microrganisims) but it can increase cancer rates if they breath it in. You shouldn't breath it either.

It is one of those things that sounds too good to be true, and is. I am all for organic choices, but DE just doesn't actually do anything. I had bugs on some of my veggies a couple years ago and tried DE and it just got worse, and so I put a bunch of bugs in a jar with DE and shook it daily and watched them live happily for a week before I threw it out.

Make sure your bag is food grade and not for a swimming pool. The pool type is extra dangerous to inhale.

THANK YOU

What about the TERRO stuff, would it work on fireants? It sure does on all of the kinds of ants we have around here.

chippie":337qhjfb said:
DE is not as wonderful as it sounds. From another board's discussion about DE

One thing about fire ants is not to disturb them when you are poisoning them. The reason is that most colonies have multiple queens, and if you upset them, they just move. Amdro will not kill on contact. They have to eat it to die. I have had good luck with Bengal Fire Ant Powder. I use it in out yard. Just sprinkle the mound in the morning and let the ants carry the poison inside to their friends.

Must be the sugar water I use. Haven't seen a tomato hornworm in 10 years? Something keeps them away...sugar water,kelp,DE, gotta be one of them?
Valerie
PS. seems to work on our small ant hills...must be just lucky I guess?

Maybe I am sadistic when it comes to these invaders. I like to stir up the mound, sprinkle diatomaceous earth, and watch them die. I've stuffed DE in pipes and blown it in to every nook and cranny. When we do our annual camp out I sprinkle 50lbs throughout the camp site.

I really like the results.

robertwhite":2xjzazq0 said:
Where are you guys getting food grade DE? I figure its worth a shot.

From the feed store. It was 21 for 25 lbs and $24 for 50 lbs. I always get the 50.

Latest posts