Fire Ants Home Remedy?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
I freakin' hate these stupid little biting beasts.

Anyone have a home brewed concoction to eliminate them by either pour on or spray on method? Store bought products sure are not cheap and most only work half hearted anyway.

robertwhite":151jgtq4 said:
I freakin' hate these stupid little biting beasts.

Anyone have a home brewed concoction to eliminate them by either pour on or spray on method? Store bought products sure are not cheap and most only work half hearted anyway.

Extinguish + works, its not cheap.

Its hard to beat Orthene tobacco spray powder. Take a nail and punch a few holes in the foil lid like a salt shaker and sprinkle a little on the mound and don't disturb them. They will all be dead the next day. You could spray your yard with this too but I've never done it. I just keep a can of the orthene around and it will last a year or so. Not bad for about $8.

It won't kill them all but its kinda fun to torture them with.

Pour grits around the mound
They will go to all the trouble of hoarding them
A few will eat them and blow up
And then they will turn around and carry them all back out.

Howdyjabo":2ziu7r20 said:
It won't kill them all but its kinda fun to torture them with.

Pour grits around the mound
They will go to all the trouble of hoarding them
A few will eat them and blow up
And then they will turn around and carry them all back out.

:lol: Does it matter who cooked them? :lol:

TexasBred":3qhiay6l said:
Howdyjabo":3qhiay6l said:
uncooked grits-- they are true southerners and love cooked grits

Pure myth. Ants don't eat solids.
Maybethe just hate grits. If so we have something in common!

dun":uyn5vd01 said:
TexasBred":uyn5vd01 said:
Howdyjabo":uyn5vd01 said:
uncooked grits-- they are true southerners and love cooked grits

Pure myth. Ants don't eat solids.
rofl...come on dun. Get you a bowl and practice....sometimes if you can find enough butter, sugar, jelly and other additives they might be good. :lol2:

Ortho Over and Out, worke really well. It is a bit expensive but lasts at least 5 months. I just broadcast it and it seems to do a great job. We have lots of fireants in SE Texas.

robertwhite":2juv11zi said:
Jogeephus":2juv11zi said:
Its hard to beat Orthene tobacco spray powder. .

As in Ortho Fire Ant Killer # 0282810 ?

Sortof. The fire ant killer was put on the market after they saw how well it controlled the fire ants in a tobacco patch. There are none. The lawn and garden label for home use is 50% whereas the commercial stuff we use is 75%. Both work but for the money and convenience I use what I have on hand and that's the tobacco stuff. It will kill a mound dead in a day. Just don't mess with the mound after you sprinkle a little on it.

Edit - the home remedy Wewild posted with the grape nuts is using acephate which is the active ingredient in the orthene. Really no need in using the grape nuts cause it will kill them alone. Where people get bit on fire ant killer is all the additives and bait that is put into it. It makes it safer for the home gardener but they are fetching a high price for ground up corn cobs and other fillers. If you just follow the label and use it safely I know of nothing better than acephate. Of course, a six inch magnifying lense on a hot summer day does give one some sense of satisfaction and does kill quite a few but who has the time for that anymore?

TexasBred":218ul0vc said:
dun":218ul0vc said:
rofl...come on dun. Get you a bowl and practice....sometimes if you can find enough butter, sugar, jelly and other additives they might be good. :lol2:

That just aint right. You need your mouth washed out. :lol:

LRTX...wer'e trying to figure out a way to get the old boy from out west to learn that grits are good. As he gets use to the "additives" we wean him off them til he gets back to the original. The good stuff. :nod:

I ate grits or oats every morning before school. My dad wouldn't eat grits, said that was all they had to eat when he was a kid, said they called it "meal mush". He loved hominy though, and I didn't care for it. I guess everything is allot better if you don't have to eat it. Another thing he wouldn't eat for along time was cornbread. He said the little dark looking specks in corn meal were rat pills or they were when he was a kid. :lol:

Whoever doesn't like grits is not getting them made right.

For the fire ant question, I know the best and most economical way to get rid of them by broadcast spraying but it's not a home remedy. $5/acre ant free for a year.

Not trying to be cute, but I've urinated on many fire ant hills and that seems to do the job. I'm not sure if it actually kills them or if they just relocate, but after a day or two there are no more ants.

Thinbluelinetx":15910iyg said:
Not trying to be cute, but I've urinated on many fire ant hills and that seems to do the job. I'm not sure if it actually kills them or if they just relocate, but after a day or two there are no more ants.

Just what I was looking for, a way to write beer off, never thought about using it as form of pest control. Thanks.

Latest posts