Finished Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

gordo51

Reaction score
I'm new to raising beef cattle. We plan to raise enough for our family. My question is: what defines a "finished" steer? I've seen several discussions about finishing beef cattle but no definistion. Thanks.

gordo51":1wgj3up9 said:
I'm new to raising beef cattle. We plan to raise enough for our family. My question is: what defines a "finished" steer? I've seen several discussions about finishing beef cattle but no definistion. Thanks.

Of course the answer is feed them until they get fat.

No one can tell you how a steer looks at the proper finish, because they all have different characteristics.

It is an acquired art.

Just feed him until he gets REAL fat, and the butcher will tell you if you "Over-Finished" him. Then next time you'll know.

For freezer beef you'd be better off "Over-finishing" than "Under-finishing".

We finish ours a bit on the lean side to maintain our "lean beef" claim. Our customers are opposed to paying by the pound for fat. Trick is to feed enough to produce the IM fat (marbling)
without the excess back and kph fat. We go by age and time on grain....start the steers gradually on cracked corn 120 days out and increase to 15lbs corn/10-15lbs alfalfa during the last three weeks of finishing. We have had good success using this method. We did hold one Hereford steer back from the fall production because he didn't gain like his peers....he made the rotation this past weekend, a bit on the small side but just the right amount of fat.
It's a judgement call...how long do you want to feed him...for your freezer I'd fatten him up...it's your animal and you can always trim the carcass.
Good luck...you'll not go back to store meat again.
DMc

I believe there was a post on this topic - complete with pictures - a month or two ago. It was on the "breeds" board. Run a search...shouldn't be too hard to find.

Latest posts