Financing Cattle?? &*^^&&%$#$%)**@

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie":3vxrwrwh said:
Have you talked to him face to face yet? You can tell a lot about a person by looking him in the eye.

Sometimes a reality check is what it takes to make a person turn around. As long as he is allowed to get by with stuff, the chances of him changing and becoming a responsible person are slim.

I sure hope that he isn't a doper or drinker. If he is, you are just spinning your wheels. Good luck.

That is really WISE advice. I think I will drive down there and meet him for lunch now and then so I can BARK at him in person. Will help me to know if he is staying on track or not. Thanks

2barm I dealt with a guy like that once. It was excuse after excuse and lie after lie from him as to why he couldn't (wouldn't) pay for some beef he got from us.
Took him to small claims, he didn't show up the first time I went nor to the second one the judge rescheduled.
I won the case. He still didn't pay.
Hubby ran into him in the bar and this guy "claimed" that he had paid our butcher for the meat and we needed to go after him. :bs:

I called him up and told him he had 2 days in which to pay us or I was going to garnish his wages. I got a nasty message in return.
I had a check in my hand in 2 days though.

Just something to check out. Maybe Bonsman might know what the monetary limits are in your state.

I luv herfrds":ma0mlut5 said:
2barm I dealt with a guy like that once. It was excuse after excuse and lie after lie from him as to why he couldn't (wouldn't) pay for some beef he got from us.
Took him to small claims, he didn't show up the first time I went nor to the second one the judge rescheduled.
I won the case. He still didn't pay.
Hubby ran into him in the bar and this guy "claimed" that he had paid our butcher for the meat and we needed to go after him. :bs:

I called him up and told him he had 2 days in which to pay us or I was going to garnish his wages. I got a nasty message in return.
I had a check in my hand in 2 days though.

Just something to check out. Maybe Bonsman might know what the monetary limits are in your state.

It is $10,000.00 for small claims in Oklahoma. They may have raised it to 12; but either way he can bring it in small claims court if that is what he wants to do. Garnishing wages is only one tool in the tool box for collecting a judgment. But at times it may be the biggest tool in the box. You can also garnish checking accounts, savings accounts, accounts, grain elevators, auctions, feedyards, or anybody that owes him money. Also, a judgment will allow the sheriff to take possession of his non-exempt assets and sell them to pay the judgment. Plus, if you abstract the judgment lien, then that gives you a lien on his non-exempt real property. Judgments only get you half-way there; collecting the judgment is the hard part.

For some things (rental properties in Texas for example), after you win the judgement, a "Writ of Poession" may have to be filed (cost ~$100) in which case a Constable is assigned to meet you at the location and "Keep the Peace" while you take possession of your property.

I think that he has 3 kids, he should be a Man, quit calling him a KID...If he is man enought to make babies, he should pay his debts...this debt for sure....As I see him, the minute he sold the cows without giving you the money,He became a outright thief....I say help him out, teach him a lesson, Take a baseball bat and break his legs....That is what I think of thiefs. Of course we as good people can not do that.....

Probably just need to write it off as a "lesson learned" (hopefully) and get on with your life without your money, cows and this guy as a friend. People like this are usually already working on their next sucker. It's just how they operate and it won't stop til someone nails his hide to the wall.

Black Coos":2yjq9sqm said:
I think that he has 3 kids, he should be a Man, quit calling him a KID...If he is man enought to make babies, he should pay his debts...this debt for sure....As I see him, the minute he sold the cows without giving you the money,He became a outright thief....I say help him out, teach him a lesson, Take a baseball bat and break his legs....That is what I think of thiefs. Of course we as good people can not do that.....

This is great advice!! A prison term (if the guy or his wife doesn't shoot and kill you first) would be a small price to pay for teaching someone a lesson. Make sure you do it in front of the three little girls so you can help them out, too. :roll:

When was the last person hung in TX for cattle rustling? (rhetorical) I think that you did a good thing by giving him a 3 month deadline. Hopefully he makes a significant attempt to satisfy you but I would not hold my breathe. His efforts have shown you his character AND i HAVE NEVER SEEN CHARACTER CHANGE (FOR THE GOOD) in three months. I would be fully prepared to prosecute this fellow should he not execute the agreed upon plan. I think also that I would get something drawn up in a document that would hold up in court where he acknowledges his debt to you for the cattle he bought from you on credit, sold and spent the money, and finally NEVER paid for. I can understand if he had some catastrophic circumstance that justifies in your mind his actions as to why you would forgive the debt but if it is out and out defrauding you of YOUR LIVELYHOOD, well that takes food from your table and you have obligations to your family as well.

Good luck!

hillbillycwo":34rn0mgc said:
When was the last person hung in TX for cattle rustling? (rhetorical) I think that you did a good thing by giving him a 3 month deadline. Hopefully he makes a significant attempt to satisfy you but I would not hold my breathe. His efforts have shown you his character AND i HAVE NEVER SEEN CHARACTER CHANGE (FOR THE GOOD) in three months. I would be fully prepared to prosecute this fellow should he not execute the agreed upon plan. I think also that I would get something drawn up in a document that would hold up in court where he acknowledges his debt to you for the cattle he bought from you on credit, sold and spent the money, and finally NEVER paid for. I can understand if he had some catastrophic circumstance that justifies in your mind his actions as to why you would forgive the debt but if it is out and out defrauding you of YOUR LIVELYHOOD, well that takes food from your table and you have obligations to your family as well.

Good luck!

Very good idea. I will have that drawn up. If he doesn't want to then I will have good reason to proceed now instead of waiting 90 days. Won't be breaking my comitment...he would just be telling me he is not going to pay. GREAT advice.

Thanks

Yeah, I was thinking if youth caused him to do this, how come youth doesn't make everyone become a thief?

I once heard a guy talking about being put in jail when he was young and he said he mentioned that surely everyone has spent some time in jail. I said, actually, no, I have never been in jail, and nobody in my family has been in jail, and none of my friends have been in jail.

Yes, believe it or not, it is possible to stay out of jail and not steal cattle.

2barmcattle":2mnxy1pf said:
hillbillycwo":2mnxy1pf said:

Good luck!

Very good idea. I will have that drawn up. If he doesn't want to then I will have good reason to proceed now instead of waiting 90 days. Won't be breaking my comitment...he would just be telling me he is not going to pay. GREAT advice.

Thanks

You already have a contract. Plus you have an e-mail from him that acknowledges the debt. You do not need anything else for court. You have more than enough. Many larger cattle wrecks are based on a handshake with no contract. You will not have a problem in court.

Bonsman":3otnlvxk said:
You already have a contract. Plus you have an e-mail from him that acknowledges the debt. You do not need anything else for court. You have more than enough. Many larger cattle wrecks are based on a handshake with no contract. You will not have a problem in court.

Looks like you are sitting on go.

Trying to teach the guy a lesson and being nice is biting you in the rear. To be blunt, you are not his parent and are not responsible for his behavior. As much as one likes to think that he/she will make a difference in someone's life, sometimes the best way to do it is by doing what needs to be done.

PS. Have you thought about running a background / credit check on him?

Credit checks should have been done before financing the cattle. All you can do now is go to court or if he can come up with what he owes you settle before going to court. Either way I hope both parties learn a lesson. Leave financing to professionals.

the plain truth is never agree to carry the note on any cattle you sell,because you will loose.because they can sell them anytime or the cattle can die.i had a real good friend offer to sell me 6 reg beefmaster cows an carry the note for me.well i thought about it long an hard,am finally told him no.i didnt want to owe him money an have the cows die an have to pay for them.

Bonsman":1ftwmrrg said:
2barmcattle":1ftwmrrg said:
hillbillycwo":1ftwmrrg said:

Good luck!

Thanks

Sorry......Been out of town for a while.
Thanks once again Bonsman!!!!!

I pulled the plug on the 90 day thing. Our agreement was to give him a second chance and if at any time I thought he was not being honest or not owning the problem he started I would file charges. He started the same old crap right away. I think he has been so full of it up to now that he is starting to make himself believe in his lies.

I got with BONSMAN - - - this guy is a class act by the way. Still advising me just to be nice and said he wasn't interested in any compensation - "I am doing this as a favor and do not want to be paid anything. " Anyway, I will start small claims right away and at least get it off of my plate and in the hands of the law.

By the way.... when you print out the email(s), print them out with full headers.

This is what is wrong with our country. This guy is a scammer, you don't need a lawyer just knock his teeth down his throat. Figure his pattern out, pepper spray his eyes so he can't ID you, take a piece of pipe steel is the best jam it down his throat and when your finished wipe the pipe with bleach and throw it in the creek. Don't admit to nothing, and get a trial by jury if... you get served, most of the time it will be insufficient evidence. The cops and the DA hate thieves also.

Loser has a banruptcy attorney now. :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang: :bang: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Its a shame if what I see as THEFT is discharged through bancruptcy court.

Oh..... and :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Remember in Lonesome Dove when Capt Call beat the crap out of that guy with a branding iron??

Latest posts