Finally getting/calling for rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Well it seems we may catch up on our long awaited rain this week. Rain "forecasted" all week off and on and then at the end of the week/weekend we are supposed to get what's left of Ernesto. People are already complaining about the wind that usually comes with the hurricane reminants but, you gotta take the rain and whatever comes with it, at least thats how I feel about it.

Its pretty bad here in TX. Hopefully we can get a decent cutting soon. Gonna be a rough winter. If you can even find hay around here, its gonna be well over $100 per bale. Already at $80.

It must be getting pretty bad around here when most people say they are hoping a hurricane comes this way because its the only way we can get enough rain.

We got about 9/10" overnight, very welcome! But that's another front, not Ernesto, I believe. Ernesto is supposed to drop a big bunch here by Friday, who knows?

Well, it's settling in on us now and it don't look very pretty. Lots of rain-short period of time can you say: Wash outs all over this dry ground.

I'm suprised, it has been a steady soaking rain so far today and they aren't calling for the heavy stuff until tonight. So I guess we shall see.

Drizzled all night long. 1/2" in 12 hours. Been steadily raining since this morning, no heavy downpours, just a good soaking rain. If this is any indication, you might not have any heavy downpours, we haven't yet. By the way, I live in Afton, between Staunton and Charlottesville.

cfpinz

It's been raining here all day but so light it doesn't even show on the radar. Still, .2 so far with more predicted and it's a slow, soaking rain. Should help.

Glad to hear your getting some rain. I know it will help us out. If we get enough I'm gonna try to no till some seed into some burnt up pastures, I was afraid to do it before in case we didn't get any rain.

cfpinz":20a46sk9 said:
Drizzled all night long. 1/2" in 12 hours. Been steadily raining since this morning, no heavy downpours, just a good soaking rain. in Afton, between Staunton and Charlottesville.

cfpinz

We've had pretty much the same here and I am glad of it! Lots of wind though. Cows have holed up in a patch of pines and cedars. I'll be out checking fence in the am. Keep that rain coming. With any luck Gale is getting this as well.

Katherine

Herefordcross":2goa3x7v said:
Well it seems we may catch up on our long awaited rain this week. Rain "forecasted" all week off and on and then at the end of the week/weekend we are supposed to get what's left of Ernesto. People are already complaining about the wind that usually comes with the hurricane reminants but, you gotta take the rain and whatever comes with it, at least thats how I feel about it.

We are getting that wind and rain too. Nice break from the hot and dry. Not supposed to top 65 here tomorrow.

I hear there are flood warnings in Martins Ferry and Wheeling. Hope you are not getting more than you need, Herefordcross.

4" in the past 24 hours, 6 1/2" total since Monday. That seems like more rain than we've had total since about April, might be wrong. Still raining lightly but the winds have been howling since about 5 o'clock. The rain has been an absolute blessing but we could have done without the wind, know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :roll:

cfpinz

TxCoUnTrYbOy wrote:

Its pretty bad here in TX. Hopefully we can get a decent cutting soon. Gonna be a rough winter. If you can even find hay around here, its gonna be well over $100 per bale. Already at $80.

It must be getting pretty bad around here when most people say they are hoping a hurricane comes this way because its the only way we can get enough rain.

I believe if you look anywhere between Wharton and Bay City, you should find some decent hay at a decent price. I believe.

Dick Austin

Latest posts