Finally Found some...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I found these tried them the cattle don't seem to like them all that much. They go crazy over sweet feed but these after they tried them and I shake the bucket and they can smell them they don't even follow me. I was moving cattle I had to get sweet feed to get them in the corral cubes they shrugged their noses.

ResizedImage_1407636772069_zpsb59a1dad.jpg

ResizedImage_1407636772552_zpsb5f1568f.jpg

I'm not a fan of a pellet. All I feed is by products anyway, I just feel like their hiding something from me in a pellet.

We used to use them, some cows loved them. Tried them with our angus a couple years ago and they just starred at me, "like what the heck did you just put in our trough? we ain't eating those dog turds!" never again

torogmc81":22xxt3uf said:
We used to use them, some cows loved them. Tried them with our angus a couple years ago and they just starred at me, "like what the heck did you just put in our trough? we ain't eating those dog turds!" never again

:lol2: Yea, I paid 15 bucks for that bag too the freakin sweet feed is 9 bucks at tractor supply.

You paid too much($15). Have you got a coop near you? TSC is too high around here, and coop feed is better quality overall.
I check the tags and that is what I find for the price.

Mine liked those pretty good when I tried them before, but I used them more as treats instead of feeding a bunch at one time. I would take some in a bucket or my pocket while I was checking on the cows. They were good to get the cows to follow me and helped gentle up some of the cows and calves and get them to trust me. They worked ok for a small herd like mine, but don't know if they would be worth foolin with in a large herd, especially if they cost that much now. I'd say yours were disappointed if they were expecting sweet feed and got those. Lol

Don McCallum":2cai8m0s said:
You paid too much($15). Have you got a coop near you? TSC is too high around here, and coop feed is better quality overall.
I check the tags and that is what I find for the price.

Oh na TSC doesn't sell them another feed store around here sold it. They told me they ordered some in to see how they sell. I mostly buy all my feed from Southern States. 9 bucks for sweet feed is pretty reasonable from TSC

A.J.":332rd926 said:
Mine liked those pretty good when I tried them before, but I used them more as treats instead of feeding a bunch at one time. I would take some in a bucket or my pocket while I was checking on the cows. They were good to get the cows to follow me and helped gentle up some of the cows and calves and get them to trust me. They worked ok for a small herd like mine, but don't know if they would be worth foolin with in a large herd, especially if they cost that much now. I'd say yours were disappointed if they were expecting sweet feed and got those. Lol

Yea I was using it as a treat to get them in the corral so I can sort tag and move some lol Yea I had mine in the treat bucket but I gave them a sample they half azz ate it and wouldn't follow me into the corral until I got sweet feed which is their usual treat. Disappointed was a understatement they stared me down and walked the other way lol.

kenny thomas":2j64phrm said:
$9 for 50lb? thats 360 a ton, cant stand that price.

The cows at home the pets will get some everyday a cup which is actually a scoop full or so but the ones down on the farm and other farms will get some every other day. It keeps them easy to handle.

Craig Miller":2apgzqbv said:
Ive noticed the cows ive bought that werent raised with cubes takes some time to get them to eat it.

I put some corn stalks out in a trough and sweet feed they moved all the corn around till ate all sweet feed and left corn stalks and walked away... uppity cows :lol:

Sky, my cows will run over me trying to get cubes. I've never tried the Purina brand though. I don't feed my cows cubes they're way to expensive. But if I know I'm going to need to catch them I'll buy a couple of bags and give them some a few days ahead of time to get them hooked. To be honest though I can go months without giving them any and they'll still come running if I shake a bucket. It's like cow cocaine. :lol2:
My wife likes to give them a few when I'm working them. It does seem to keep them calmer. She even gives them some when I let them out of the squeeze chute.

Mine are like Deepsouth's, they'll mug you over cubes. They've had very little sweet feed during their life as I stopped buying it when they were leaving some uneaten in the trough.

Craig Miller":2kp3csfe said:
Ive noticed the cows ive bought that werent raised with cubes takes some time to get them to eat it.
It does take cattle a while to learn what cubes are. They may simply smell and walk off at first, pick one up, roll it around and spit it out, then eventually eat them. Give them a little time Sky but don't put out too many at one time while they're learning. Oh and if you can....find another brand besides Purina. Those cubes look pretty crappy too. They should be close to 2-3 inches long and darker. Go see the folks at Southern States where you got that other feed you showed us. Bet they have a good one and they won't be $15...around here they're less than $9 now.

kenny thomas":1salow80 said:

You got that right! Here at our southern states they have what they call a 4 way mix that is around $200 a ton I think it's 14% prot. It has cracked corn soy hull pellets gluten and soymill in it I think. Cows and calves love it.

Deepsouth":1v9l07in said:
Sky, my cows will run over me trying to get cubes. I've never tried the Purina brand though. I don't feed my cows cubes they're way to expensive. But if I know I'm going to need to catch them I'll buy a couple of bags and give them some a few days ahead of time to get them hooked. To be honest though I can go months without giving them any and they'll still come running if I shake a bucket. It's like cow cocaine. :lol2:
My wife likes to give them a few when I'm working them. It does seem to keep them calmer. She even gives them some when I let them out of the squeeze chute.

I gotcha never fed during or after working them I guess I should have tried that yesterday and I wouldn't have gotten kicked.

slick4591":1v9l07in said:
Mine are like Deepsouth's, they'll mug you over cubes. They've had very little sweet feed during their life as I stopped buying it when they were leaving some uneaten in the trough.

Mine will never leave any they lick the trough clean on sweet feed.

TexasBred":1v9l07in said:
[It does take cattle a while to learn what cubes are. They may simply smell and walk off at first, pick one up, roll it around and spit it out, then eventually eat them. Give them a little time Sky but don't put out too many at one time while they're learning. Oh and if you can....find another brand besides Purina. Those cubes look pretty crappy too. They should be close to 2-3 inches long and darker. Go see the folks at Southern States where you got that other feed you showed us. Bet they have a good one and they won't be $15...around here they're less than $9 now.

Good point TB I will talk to them.

CottageFarm":1v9l07in said:
Sky, if you spray a little water thinned molasses or caro syrup on those stalks they'll take to them a lot quicker :D

CF I will try that .. I have noticed the older cows know what they are and will kill for it but younger cows not so much.

pricefarm":1v9l07in said:
kenny thomas":1v9l07in said:

You got that right! Here at our southern states they have what they call a 4 way mix that is around $200 a ton I think it's 14% prot. It has cracked corn soy hull pellets gluten and soymill in it I think. Cows and calves love it.

I will see if I can get that up here.

we buy 20% cubes here just to use them as a treat an our cows will run over you if your not careful to get their head in the bucket. if the cows aren't use to eating cubes it may take a bit for them to get use to them.

Latest posts