Finally built the flatdeck

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to building a flatdeck for my 94 dodge dually, I had looked everywhere for a deck to fit it, but no luck, so I bought some steel and built my own... I spent months designing and redesigning it until it was just right. My biggest criteria were lightweight, not too expensive to build in materials, and as low to the ground as I could... I think I succeeded, and everyone who's seen it likes it.. One guy wants me to build him a deck for his toyota T100 next fall in fact.
On the subject of weight, my box and canopy weighed in at 400 kg (880 lbs), excluding the 5th wheel plate that was mounted to it which was really close to 200 lbs... The truck used to weigh 3200 kg and now weighs 3100 kg (220 lbs lighter), the deck is only about 1" higher than the floor of the box was, but since the truck sits 2" lower in the front and I can load from the side now, it's in fact lower at it's lowest point... the dimensions from edge to edge are 8' wide, and 8'10" long, which 1" shorter than the box and bumper, I was also able to move the trailer hitch (bumper pull style) a full 10" forward on the frame, which will make the trailer tow more like a 5th wheel, reducing the front end lift when I load it up... I also put a sealed stainless steel junction box at the back where all my wiring goes into and ran relays for the reverse lights (200W of them when the trailer is on), I got LED tail lights and license plate lamp. The main frame of the deck is 3x3x1/8th square tubing, the crossbars are 2x2x1/8th square tubing, cut down into the 3x3, capped and sealed, with a bit of oil in them to prevent rusting from the inside, 4 stake pockets on each side (4x2x3/16th square tube, which perfectly fits a piece of 2x4), and 3 stake pockets on the front. The headache rack is 3x2x1/8th square tubing and holds the toolbox in place nicely, it has grab handles on it which make it really easy to get up on the deck using the running boards, and the floor is 1/2" exterior fir plywood. It's light, and cheap, and when I bash it up too much, I might upgrade and put 1/4" aluminum checkerplate on it instead. I will pretty much only use the deck of the truck for hay, not heaping piles of transmissions and engine blocks, so I'm not too worried about it. the rear bumper of the deck is 6" channel, with the flushmount LED taillights recessed into it so I *shouldn't* bash them up without a lot of effort. As for paint, I first put gravelguard on the entire thing, then topcoated it with automotive black paint... it'll probably chip off, but everything does on these roads.

I figure if I were to build this identical deck for someone it would be close to a $3000 bill... it took me 2 weeks
here's a pic, not the greatest with a cell phone, but it'll do for now
Photo0091_zps838e74ca.jpg

god, it really is a bad pic.. I'll try and get a better one next week

One other thing I did was I tapered off the front corners so I don't bash my hip on them getting into the truck

I especially like the way the tail lights are protected from docks, etc. You do good work.

I've been looking for one to buy for over a year now and haven't seen just the right one. My plan was to build one this spring before hay season and your picture just gave me a little extra push.

I don't have a gooseneck trailer so I didn't bother putting the ball in the deck, though it could certainly be done at a later date. I looked for 4 years to find a deck to properly fit my truck, and none were just right, so I'd have to do so much cutting and welding it wouldn't save me any time, it wouldn't be new, and it wouldnt be just the way I wanted it.

Hooknline.. I'll build you one... just come and pick it up :p... I wish I had a pick of the stock rack I built for my trailer.. hauled 11,000 lbs of calves in it last year... I didn't build the whole thing, I got one that was originally a 10 footer, extended to 14, so I cut it back down to 10 and extended it by 10 1/2 feet, so it's 20feet inside, and still fits my 20 foot trailer, slides on nicely, rear door folds down as a ramp, slides up like a guillotine, or swings open like a normal door, plus if I want to I can take the whole back wall off with 4 bolts if I need to backhaul something that doesn't fit through the livestock door... I also just built a pipe rack to fit the trailer so I can haul irrigation pipe if I find some at an auction. I think I've got everything set up now so I can do what I need to do. If I can't, the money spent on a professional trucker is worth it... I just have to keep my truck together now... I spent 1200 on a clutch last year, 1500 on a headgasket this year, tranny is always giving me grief.

The last thing I want to do is put a 50 gallon aluminum fuel tank on the side of the truck.. maybe put a stack on it when the exhaust system rusts out (which is rather quickly)

I really like it.

BTW when you build the one for the T-100 don't bother making it lighter. if it's like mine (a 1997) it doesn't have a limited slip differential and it ain't worth a darn on slick roads without a LOT of weight in it!

I'll keep that in mind 3 way... I'm seeing the guy tonight... I think he wants it so he can haul a 1 ton square bale on it... he was thinking of getting a tilt deck, but I said that would cost WAY more... I'm going to suggest he put a winch on it, so he can have a cable under the bale, power the winch to slide the bale off... it would work OK, and be cheaper.. and a winch is always handy

Well ill let you off the hook for building me one. I picked up a steel one last night. Lol

Nesikep":1cce1n85 said:
I'll keep that in mind 3 way... I'm seeing the guy tonight... I think he wants it so he can haul a 1 ton square bale on it... he was thinking of getting a tilt deck, but I said that would cost WAY more... I'm going to suggest he put a winch on it, so he can have a cable under the bale, power the winch to slide the bale off... it would work OK, and be cheaper.. and a winch is always handy

LOL if he puts a one ton bale on a T-100 without beefing up the suspension he will have a tilt deck anyway. I used to haul one ton pallets of pellets for my folks and i could barely keep the bumper from dragging the ground.

The other thing to keep in mind with the T is that they were made with the shyttist brakes(thin rotors) of any 1/2 ton pick going. He won't stop that load too many times without warping the rotors.

Latest posts