Figuring break-evens

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
from fat cattle/corn prices?
I am wanting to see where I should be for pricing calves through other avenues should my current customer situation change, or need to change. Is there a way for me to do this with public information? Or does the yards charges change that much daily, or in a short amount of time? What is a reasonable to attractive profit to use for calculations for the break-even price for weaned calves to a backgrounder? Is there a rule of thumb I can use, as I don't know any feedlots personally that I can call to get the current break-even. Is that something they would share to a joe blow?

So many questions...

Honestly, most any feedyard that feeds customer cattle will be pretty willing to discuss expected costs of gain for the classes of cattle you may feed. Of course, several factors go into their projection. Corn price, how the corn is fed in relation to conversion (do they have a flaker etc.), recent closeouts on similar cattle, weather forecast etc. I'd start there, if a feedlot you'd like to deal with thinks they can feed your cattle for 80 cents, you can use that figure along with Live Cattle for projected finish month to establish your numbers. The other thing I'd ask the feedyard is if any plan they are tied in with is offering a contract program with premiums for contracting in your finish month. Lots of premiums before any grid, out there right now for certain months to certain packers. Not sure if that helps or if I completely missed your point.

Thanks, yes that helps. I didn't know if a guy needed an "in" to be able to get that info or not.

The premiums prior to grid I didn't know about. I have heard that there are some in-house premiums that are fairly common to qualify for, in addition to the CAB and grade. If I understand correctly. The pre grid premiums are for pulling cattle to the typically slower months of finishing?

I don't have very many calves yearly, but I might like to retain ownership one of these days, and would like to know where my calves stand value-wise now for the backgrounder/feedyard. For now, I would like to be able to get my numbers back from the backgrounder to see if I'm heading in the right direction upon bull changes.

I won't be entertaining any ideas of retaining ownership until I get my cows paid off. Next calf crop should do it, if things hold, and I don't get in some kind of wreck.

Latest posts