Figuring Protein ration of feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Three T":j2br8shf said:
I suppose there would have to be a variance in cp levels. I just dont know how much that could be. I use a sheet from Moormans that hasn't changed in the last 10 yrs. I know hay test different every year so I guess grains could to.
I don't know what the extreme ends of the scale could be for high and low protein on corn or other grains, but I have had corn tests come back different times from 8.2% to about 9%.

Calculate by multiplying the percentage of the ingredient in the ration by its protein percentage, then add them together. Corn is .625 of the formula by 8% protein = 5. Oats is .1875 multiplied by 11% (protein for good northern or imported oats) = 2.06. SBM is .1875 multiplied by 47.5 (for hi pro meal-most common) = 8.9. This means overal protein percentage is 15.9%. I am sure feeds books or online resources can provide standard protein contents for most feedstuffs. Generally, primaries (anything not further processed) won't vary greatly. Those commodities that are result of processing (by-products of some type of milling or oil extraction) can vary, sometimes quite a bit, from load to load. Therefore if you're doing a lot, it's better to test periodically.

Latest posts