Figuring Protein ration of feed

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Wondering if there is any good source for helping to figure the protein ration of your feed. Book? Online calculator or formula?

I believe there are labs that test different grains and such to determine how much protein it contains, but could be wrong. I know I've heard the local farmers talking about the protein content their grain tested out at during harvest. May want to check with your local feed store or extension office. If you do a google search for the feed type you are using, you should be able to guesstimate the approximate protein content.

What I was interested in was the ability to figure a feed rations such as if you have 1,000 lbs corn, 300lbs oats, 300 lbs soybean meal, etcc.....what would be the protein content of the feed you are feeding.

I took feed and nutrition years ago in college but never used it sense and can not remember much from it. I remember we had some formulas and had to figure out the protein content of different rations. I wish I still had this text book. Maybe I can go get one at the college.

msscamp":3js0jbb6 said:
I believe there are labs that test different grains and such to determine how much protein it contains, but could be wrong. I know I've heard the local farmers talking about the protein content their grain tested out at during harvest. May want to check with your local feed store or extension office. If you do a google search for the feed type you are using, you should be able to guesstimate the approximate protein content.
Yes Msscamp there are. It's also not unusual to have a visit from the State Dept. of Agriculture, to pull samples and have the feed tested in a retail/wholesale situation,to assure the buyer is getting the most bang for his/hers buck.Usually the labs allow for about 1-2 % variation in protein, generally leaning towards the users side. In other words feed labeled at 10%, will usually be 11-12% when tested, again a good thing for the consumer.

Crowderfarms":2ldpc9sq said:
msscamp":2ldpc9sq said:
Yes Msscamp there are. It's also not unusual to have a visit from the State Dept. of Agriculture, to pull samples and have the feed tested in a retail/wholesale situation,to assure the buyer is getting the most bang for his/hers buck.Usually the labs allow for about 1-2 % variation in protein, generally leaning towards the users side. In other words feed labeled at 10%, will usually be 11-12% when tested, again a good thing for the consumer.

Thanks Crowder! I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure.

aplusmnt":1ilkkpnw said:
What I was interested in was the ability to figure a feed rations such as if you have 1,000 lbs corn, 300lbs oats, 300 lbs soybean meal, etcc.....what would be the protein content of the feed you are feeding.

I took feed and nutrition years ago in college but never used it sense and can not remember much from it. I remember we had some formulas and had to figure out the protein content of different rations. I wish I still had this text book. Maybe I can go get one at the college.

If it was me, I would do a search, call the extension office, or call my local feed store to find out what the measurement of protein for feed is - i.e. pound, bushel, etc (I believe its per pound, but - again - could very well be wrong). Once you have that you can simply do the math based on the total amount of protein you want to feed and the total pounds of each part of the ration. Does that make sense?

aplusmnt":2nh0ik81 said:

You're going to fall in the 12-14% Protein area.

aplusmnt":c1k9d881 said:
Wondering if there is any good source for helping to figure the protein ration of your feed. Book? Online calculator or formula?
This is how I was taught to figure it.

LBS X Protein = Lbs of protein
lbs of protein divided by total lbs = Protein content

EXAMPLE
1000 corn X 9.8% cp = 98
300 oats x 13.6% cp = 41
300 sb meal x 49%cp = 147

286(98+41+147) divided by 1600(total lbs) = 17.9 cp

As I understand it, it also varies from year to year for the same crop in the same field depending on fertilizer, amount of rain, irrigated or not, temperatures, etc. Is this true or have I been misinformed?

msscamp":19qtnev6 said:
As I understand it, it also varies from year to year for the same crop in the same field depending on fertilizer, amount of rain, irrigated or not, temperatures, etc. Is this true or have I been misinformed?
A lot has to do with fertilizer absorption, rainfall, and actual soil content of minerals, or lack thereof.

Took those cp # off of Va. Tech web site. We do not figure any thing that high in IL either. I figured someone would question those #'s :D .

Other than that, formula correct? Hope so been doing it that way for years :roll:

Three T, I wasn't questioning your numbers or formula. Just trying to get things solidified in my head as to the variance in protein percentages depending on conditions. I know they are a factor, just not sure how much of a factor.

Three T":1n22sber said:
Took those cp # off of Va. Tech web site. We do not figure any thing that high in IL either. I figured someone would question those #'s :D .

Other than that, formula correct? Hope so been doing it that way for years :roll:
The formula is correct. I may be off a point or so, on protein contents, for the final mix content.What are you feeding this mix to? Ought to be a pretty good feed, might throw in some Corn Gluten pellets, and some A,D.& E Vitamins.

msscamp,
I didn't take your reply in a negative way. I suppose there would have to be a variance in cp levels. I just dont know how much that could be. I use a sheet from Moormans that hasn't changed in the last 10 yrs. I know hay test different every year so I guess grains could to. Maybe someone on here can set us straight.

Three T":8ckwuj8m said:
msscamp,
I didn't take your reply in a negative way. I suppose there would have to be a variance in cp levels. I just dont know how much that could be. I use a sheet from Moormans that hasn't changed in the last 10 yrs. I know hay test different every year so I guess grains could to. Maybe someone on here can set us straight.

I appreciate that, as I sure didn't mean it to be negative. That would be great! We only raised wheat and it isn't in real high demand for cattle feed.

Crowderfarms":3b92ezou said:
Three T":3b92ezou said:

The formula is correct. I may be off a point or so, on protein contents, for the final mix content.What are you feeding this mix to? Ought to be a pretty good feed, might throw in some Corn Gluten pellets, and some A,D.& E Vitamins.
Crowder,
That was just a Example, Feed that ration and you better not be standing behind them when they cough.

My ration for weaned calves is corn, steakmaker supplement,alfalfa hay,trace mineral,aeromycin(sp)at 14.5 CP
You think it needs to be hotter?

Three T":1cjwn27e said:
Crowderfarms":1cjwn27e said:
Three T":1cjwn27e said:

Crowder,
That was just a Example, Feed that ration and you better not be standing behind them when they cough.

My ration for weaned calves is corn, steakmaker supplement,alfalfa hay,trace mineral,aeromycin(sp)at 14.5 CP
You think it needs to be hotter?
I feed a 12% that has pretty much all those additives, and I've never had a problem. Of course they are not as concentrated.I was not talking about a 1000 lb. mix. All mine is by the ton.If it was in a small increment they'd crap from here to Hahira.

Latest posts