Fiddleneck and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

go west

Reaction score
I've been offered the chance to allow my four-year-old oxen to graze a neighbor's field. Although there's a lot of good grass - and I'd love to save on my feed bill - there's also a fair amount of fiddleneck mixed in.

The neighbor maintains that the fiddleneck isn't a problem for the steers. My own research contradicts this. I'd like some practical advice for this. My intent would be to allow grazing for a few hours a day, and then bring them in for a little dry oat hay in the evening.

Ideas and advice welcomed.

Here in central California it can really take over. Through discing in our own fields, we've been able to keep it to a minimum. Neighboring fields are thick with it though, and seeds blow in and spread around. The name describes it well... the tip of the plant is curled in a spiral like the end of a violin. If you've seen the tips of young ferns, you'll recognize the shape. There are little yellow flowers all along the spiral.

Since it's not supposed to taste good to the cattle, I'm told that as long as they have other feed, they'll eat that and leave the fiddleneck alone. Just wanting to get some other opinions... research is way cheaper than a vet bill or livestock loss!

I picked this up on a web page that lists plants that are toxic to horses and other livestock:
http://www.spokanecounty.org/weedboard

COAST FIDDLENECK (Amsinckia intermedia)
Toxicity rating: High
Toxins: Pyrrolizidine alkaloids. All parts of plant, especially the seeds.
Animals affected: All animals.
Signs: Liver damage, fibrosis, depression, incoordination, death
Accumulate levels of nitrates are potentially toxic to cattle, but probably
not horses. Toxins can be passed on in the milk of lactating animals
and alkaloids can be transferred through the placenta to the baby.
Description of plant: An annual weed with bristly stems 1 to 2 ½ feet
tall with alternate leaves that are hairy and ovate. Yellow flowers are
arranged on one side of a "fiddleneck" shaped axis.