Few hours of free time and this is what I do

Help Support CattleToday:

Processing facilities are holding me back from doing it myself. Just gauging interest before I invest, if again with pigs. I won't miss their smell, though having them on pasture helps.

RanchMan90":25zu4sz6 said:
Processing facilities are holding me back from doing it myself. Just gauging interest before I invest, if again with pigs. I won't miss their smell, though having them on pasture helps.

Gotcha, Yea those things stink so bad but taste so good. I really got involved with pigs when I had access to tons of free feed and milk and minimal costs for bread. If it weren't for that I would just buy them from someone else. What breeds do you have ? I have everything that I can get at a deal I even had pot bellied someone gave me :oops: They made good sausage :lol2:

skyhightree1":3gsm6b55 said:
RanchMan90":3gsm6b55 said:

Gotcha, Yea those things stink so bad but taste so good. I really got involved with pigs when I had access to tons of free feed and milk and minimal costs for bread. If it weren't for that I would just buy them from someone else. What breeds do you have ? I have everything that I can get at a deal I even had pot bellied someone gave me :oops: They made good sausage :lol2:
A heritage breed called large black. They were supposed to survive on grass and not root, the first part was true :lol2: I crossed a few with a Chester white for a terminal cross. Feed costs and processing brings my costs to $2 a lb on the feeder pigs.

RanchMan90":jnuygetr said:
skyhightree1":jnuygetr said:
RanchMan90":jnuygetr said:

A heritage breed called large black. They were supposed to survive on grass and not root, the first part was true :lol2: I crossed a few with a Chester white for a terminal cross. Feed costs and processing brings my costs to $2 a lb on the feeder pigs.

What all do you feed them?

skyhightree1":211nkt66 said:
RanchMan90":211nkt66 said:
skyhightree1":211nkt66 said:

The sows just graze and get fed occasionally. The feeder pigs average 10 lbs of 16% commodity feed (ddg, corn, soy hulls, wheat mids) per day for 180 days. I've got to cut feed costs before proceeding also.

RanchMan90":2kbgz2tk said:
skyhightree1":2kbgz2tk said:
RanchMan90":2kbgz2tk said:

The sows just graze and get fed occasionally. The feeder pigs average 10 lbs of 16% commodity feed (ddg, corn, soy hulls, wheat mids) per day for 180 days. I've got to cut feed costs before proceeding also.

I feed mine brewers grain with minerals and milk and break of course water that's all they get mostly unless I have a bunch of ddg left over from calves.

skyhightree1":3bznawab said:
RanchMan90":3bznawab said:
skyhightree1":3bznawab said:

I feed mine brewers grain with minerals and milk and break of course water that's all they get mostly unless I have a bunch of ddg left over from calves.
That makes good $ense. If you don't mind my asking, what do you get per lb hanging weight?

RanchMan90":2n6ii8ub said:
skyhightree1":2n6ii8ub said:
RanchMan90":2n6ii8ub said:

That makes good $ense. If you don't mind my asking, what do you get per lb hanging weight?

I sell only private sale to folks who want to process their own foods and or will take them to have them butchered so I honestly have no idea. I expanded my farm to sell animals direct to individuals who don't mind putting in work to processing their own meat and provide a covered facility with a winch to hang an animal and tubs to scald animals. The ones I kill and make sausage are ones I eat myself or give to friends. I provide a place for folks to pick out a sheep goat duck turkey chicken hog bobwhite quails. I guess to answer your question I charge 1.00lb average

The first visitors have arrived to the new place I am thinking I will keep these here just for my families consumption and give these a special diet.. They have already started digging around the tree roots

IMG_20170604_145641464_HDR_zpsay5y1ny1.jpg

IMG_20170604_154033796_zpstt7xoqad.jpg

IMG_20170604_155216326_zps7algruia.jpg

Havent been on here in a while. I like the idea sky especially the loading chute, I am always fighting hogs trying to get em in trailer. I think im going to have to use your idea.

j_20":1od2iyn1 said:
Havent been on here in a while. I like the idea sky especially the loading chute, I am always fighting hogs trying to get em in trailer. I think im going to have to use your idea.

Welcome back :lol: Feel free to use it I hope it serves you well. Here is a couple pics of the " special pigs " and they seem to have grown some. They love my rations I feed them.

IMG_20170626_062615668_zpspfqxp0o8.jpg

IMG_20170625_093416501_zpsvpcbsjol.jpg

IMG_20170625_093515073_zpsiqzwqidi.jpg

IMG_20170625_093850751_zpsrp1a3wn4.jpg

IMG_20170625_094803992_HDR_zpsnwd1evei.jpg

Is that a 14% or 16% Sky? haha Hey whatever works. I've feed reject tortillas and bad fruit, believe it or not a pig will find its way into a cocunut.

j_20":2gzodaol said:
Is that a 14% or 16% Sky? haha Hey whatever works. I've feed reject tortillas and bad fruit, believe it or not a pig will find its way into a cocunut.

:lol: I wish I knew the % seriously .... I feed them a lot of brewers grain mixed with milk and minerals then bread milk and sweets I also put 50# of corn that's cracked in milk and they love that too. I feed fruit and veggies when I have it and some slop from the house.

IMG_20170625_083233005_zpspg114br8.jpg

Latest posts