fescue toxicity

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Yes I'm in Michigan and I know it's rare but it seems like the horse pastures I inherited are quite full of fescue which I've proven now through tox testing. Every year I will lose a few tail switches but it never really seems to be a huge problem. This is the first year I think I'm seeing fescue foot and summer slump - which seem much more concerning.

Two animals have inexplicably swollen from the hoof to the hip. Is that what fescue foot can turn into? The bull resolved himself when I took him off feed - the cow is working through it now. The summer slump cow lost weight and got real watery stool - she's recovering now that I moved her pasture. But the fescue foot seems like a real hum dinger.

Any thoughts?

Never saw watery stool on fescue affected cattle. Worst were some AI calves of another breed. Panted in the shade, walked on tip toes, lost weight, so once they got to fall and did enough gain to look decent to be sold they were gone and I chunked out the remaining semen. But up to weaning they grew like no others. Putting an animal on feed, such as corn, generally helps. We had a neighbor who imported some high dollar cows from KS and ended up burying them after they lost entire hooves, tails, .... He waited too late or thought they would adapt. Either they've got the genetics for fescue or not. If they work on fescue it is as cheap a winter feed as you can hope for.

Good comments. Thanks. Fescue is creeping into all the pastures from this old horse paddock where they must have imported some fescue hay. Drought doesn't help because fescue survives better and can be all that's left. Never minded losing a few tail switches but the problem is definitely intensifying. I am going to have to rotate pastures sooner or add some corn. I've heard others have had success adding some corn.

Anyone ever seen fescue foot swell the entire leg? Is that normal? I don't want to blame the fescue if it's not the fescue.

I've not seen any whole legs swollen, not saying it might not could happen. I've seen lost tail switches and swollen hooves. Decreased fertility can also occur.
Part of the good of fescue is that it can withstand a wide range of conditions like drought and still come back. Makes for good forage in the fall after a dry spell. I'm now an advocate of using cattle that are adapted to the area already. Some can adapt and some can't and it can be a costly venture figuring it out.

Thanks. I have a closed herd so all my cattle are lifers. Seems like there may be some genetic predispositions toward tolerance - or maybe some animals just like eating more than others because a good 90% don't seem bothered at all.

Latest posts