fescue fever ????

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
we have a cow that my Dad says has fescue fever - fescue in pasture - growing slowly and very short - (no rain) - up until Wednesday it was hot (95 - 98 degrees)
cow has been pulled from the pasture into a lot with hay, grain and water - is there any other treatment she needs :?:

she was standing in the pond and yesterday I saw her with her tongue hanging out (on the way to the pond), drool hanging down like a dog and what looked like foam on her lower lip

sounds like fescue foot. might give shots of nuflor or LA200 and change diet for awile. could have been the early heat and not completely shedded her winter coat

Rough looking coat? I've experienced it mainly after grazing on stockpile fescue for a number of weeks & if progressis to effecting the hoof as I have had on a few occassions - good luck. I've tried with no success to reverse it, even though I removed the animial from the source (they still fill up the freezer).

The Crystalyx brand tub, called Fescue Max or something like that is what we keep out year round now. We had the same problem allowing cattle to graze year round on fescue. We even gave 15 % grain and free choice alfalfa but, still had the problem we leave the tubs out year round and in addition a loose mineral with triplex 4 in it. Has fixed that problem for us but, as always theres something else to contend with. I have one right now that doesn't want to shed AT ALL!! I am getting ready to put her in the chute and shave her bald if something doesn't give soon.

The effects of fescue toxicosis on beef cattle productivity

J. Paterson, C. Forcherio, B. Larson, M. Samford and M. Kerley
Department of Animal and Range Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman 59717, USA.

Consumption of tall fescue forage infested with the endophytic fungus Acremonium coenophialum can result in a condition termed "fescue toxicosis," which is characterized by decreased weight gains, milk production, conception, and serum prolactin and an inability to dissipate body heat by beef cattle. These decreases in productivity have been estimated to cost beef producers more than $600 million annually. The unthrifty appearance of cattle consuming endophyte-infected tall fescue (E+) is most evident during periods of environmental heat or cold stress, suggesting an interaction with environmental conditions. Without temperature stress, cows consumed similar amounts of E+ and endophyte-free tall fescue (E-). But, when temperatures exceeded 32 degrees C, cows that grazed E+ consumed less forage than cows that grazed E-. After removal of E+ from the diet of steers, compensatory growth was observed, indicating no long-term negative effects of E+. A decrease in serum prolactin but apparently little change in other hormones has been measured after consumption of E+. Under periods of heat stress, animals had reduced ability to dissipate body heat, and blood flow to peripheral (rib skin), core-body (duodenum colon), and brain (cerebellum) tissues was decreased. Due to the depressive effects of E+ on prolactin and heat dissipation, dopamine antagonist therapy has been used in an attempt to rectify these changes. Dopamine antagonists have increased serum prolactin but there is limited evidence to suggest an improvement in heat dissipation. Experiments to elucidate the effects of E+ on alpha-1 and -2 adrenergic receptors may also offer insights into developing strategies to overcome the negative effects of E+ consumption. Preliminary results suggest that injections of an alpha-1 adrenergic antagonist (prazosin) in rats fed E+ under 32 degrees C conditions increased DM intake and reduced rectal temperature.

Latest posts