fertilizing pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlecreek

Reaction score
How many of you don't fertilize your pastures every year. I haven't fertilized in three years and can't tell any difference.

I fertilize mine every time I've got a new crop of bermuda growing.....urea. A week or two after fertilizing I can tell where my sloppy tractor-driving skills caused me to miss an area....it's more of a lighter green in color and the grass isn't as tall as the rest.

I fertilized mine two years ago and didn't notice any difference. Of course, it would help if I had some better grass in my pasture for it to show up on.

Soil test still says I don;t need to do anything. Last time was about 6 years ago and I limed some of them cause they needed it according to the soil test.

dun":2nrgnsv7 said:
Soil test still says I don;t need to do anything. Last time was about 6 years ago and I limed some of them cause they needed it according to the soil test.

I agree with Dun. Get a soil test and see what your pastures need. Where your running cows will usually not need as much fertilizer as ground you just cut hay from. The cows put nutrients back into the soil.Clover can help with nitrogen also.

man id hate to say when we put out fert on hay meadows or cropland.an the only thing that knocks our production back is droughts.

In my area if you are able to drive over the pasture to fertilize it, it would be a corn field in the first place. So... my pasture has never had fertilizer spread on it.

As the production and health of your cows is related to what they eat and that needs to be grazing from your pastures, it is best to have them in the best of health you can.

Assuming that you are not in drought, or flood, or it is not posiable to drive a machine accross your grazing then soil analysis is essential to find out what i in your soil.

Clover can give your grass all the N it needs, but your pasture also needs phosphate, potash, sulphur, manganise, magnesium, and a full range of micro nutrients. Just as in a cow if one isshort or there is an inbalance and that is the limiting factor.

Just because grass looks OK to use does not mean very much.

Latest posts