Fertilizer $$$

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
28-8-6 $315/ton delivered to me in 4 bay trailer. What's it going for in your direction. Couldn't get 30-X-X this year for some reason down here.

34-0-0 $363 a ton.
From the smell everybody around me is using litter. PU. Hope we get some rain tonight.

Sometime awhile back, one of you guys posted about how to figure the ratios needed to achieve what soil test results were.

In other words, if soil test shows you need 85 lbs/N per acre, what number would this equate to in real life. If you are putting down 28-8-6, how many lbs of each ingredient are you putting in 100 pounds of fertilizer?

My soil tests came back with

85 lbs of N/acre

55 lbs of P/acre

85 lbs of K/acre.

I realize that for a 10 acre pasture, I could just tell the dealer to mix me up 850 lbs N/550 lbs P/ 850 lbs of K, and then spread accordingly, but what would the proper analysis be?

85-55-85? I know that cant be right, so can I just start breaking it down from there....43-27-43 (1/2)......21-14-21 (1/4)? I know this is clear as mud, but hopefully someone can figure out what I am trying to ask!

Eric,

I'll take a shot at it....it your hypothetical 100lbs of "28-8-6" you would have....28lbs of N, 8lbs of P and 6lbs of K. I'm not sure where you are located so don't know what type of soil you have...because they each react differently to fertilizers. I'm located in SE Alabama and our soil is sandy loam. Nitrogen moves through our soil quickly so we tend to use lots of it because it promotes protein formation and protein result in more green leafy growth. I believe Nitrogen moves through most soils fairly fast. Phosphorus, on the other hand, does not move through the soil and remains on the surface. Phosphorus is essential in energy transformations in plants...carbohydrates storage. If your test indicates you don't need it...don't add it....phorphorus can run off into streams/lakes and leads to excessive algae growth. The third number...Potassium is a salt and helps plant take up water and other nutrients. Bermudagrasses for example "use" almost as much "K" and it does "N"....but not much "P"...Bahiagrasses are about the same. My soil tests came back of Auburn indicating that I only needed to add 60lbs of N per acre to my bahia pastures...nothing else. Already done and now waiting for rain...last rain was 30 days ago. Sorry for long answer...hope this helps...cheers, Bill

Latest posts