Fertilizer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
This question is regarding a 20 acre hay field of tall fescue and white clover.

Applied fertilizer to specs in April. Baled 129 rolls of hay end of May. Is there a need to hit it again with fertilizer prior to
second cut? Looking foward to reading your responses. Thanks

I would wait till fall and put on the amounts needed to replace what was removed by haying. That way you will also have some good stockpiled pasture to use in the fall/winter.

bncsimps

I am in total agreement with Dun and I am dependent on fescue to carry me through the Winter with no hay. I determined that when I was using commercial fertilizer that if I fertilized in the latter part of August and got some rain I could gain a couple of weeks worth of growth on the fescue as it comes out of dormancy. August is a difficult time here for rotational grazers as we are usually facing dry conditions and any forage gained is badle needed. I am in zone 7.

bncsimps":329sdf6y said:
This question is regarding a 20 acre hay field of tall fescue and white clover.

Applied fertilizer to specs in April. Baled 129 rolls of hay end of May. Is there a need to hit it again with fertilizer prior to
second cut? Looking foward to reading your responses. Thanks

If you would have bailed it early May maybe, not now. You will be feeding weeds and summer annuals as the fescue goes dormant normally July-August depending on the weather.