Fertilizer and Profit

Help Support CattleToday:

All I meant is Nitrogen is needed only in minute amounts and it shouldn't be the most costly nutrient you put out

A 95-0-0 is nothing lol ( is that per year>? (if so thats still nothing) but if you are suffering from a low yeild I bet your pH is off and your K.

Also CP is achievable in different ways--- your N source is probably from your local Co-op and just maybe you could do it cheaper --whether it is ChikSt or other forms of N like Feedyard compost.

It is easy just to call Bob at the Co-op and order out your N fertilizer----

TexasBred":2hdeispz said:
Have a dairymen over in Central Texas who fertilizes with chicken litter and consistently grows hay that is 13-14% crude protein. He's located right on the Brazos River and you can almost dig a post hole and hit water.

LOL I'd say he may be my neighbor but there are no dairies on the Brazos where I am. Those brazos flood plains do indeed kick out good grass and we have all the limestone here. Lime leaches out of the hills above the upper flood plains.

Generally we kick in a little boron just to drive the coastal roots down, but the tests say we don't need any minerals. The sand on the lower flood plains sort of sponge up the water out of the river. The upper flood plains have to be irrigated in drought years.

The biggest problem around here right now is that there is a cattle shortage. Most everyone cut back in '05 and then in the moderate drought of '06. Lots of folks who don't front the river sold completely out. The salebarns have some cattle, but not cattle with ear that will work well in this environment. When eared cattle come through, everyone is bidding.

The land I have over between Hallsville and Marshall was inherited. One of my grandaddy's ran cattle on it up until the mid 70's. Daddy hauled some over there a few years but they nearly starved to death in chest deep grass. He quit transporting.

The land I have over between Hallsville and Marshall was inherited. One of my grandaddy's ran cattle on it up until the mid 70's. Daddy hauled some over there a few years but they nearly starved to death in chest deep grass. He quit transporting.

You know the old saying about taking cows from west to east. Come over in our part of the world and buy those cows with some ear and take them to your stronger country. You will be amazaed at how they will grow. We can buy catlle from east of here and bring them to Van Zandt County and they do well.

BC":1w6x309d said:

You know the old saying about taking cows from west to east. Come over in our part of the world and buy those cows with some ear and take them to your stronger country. You will be amazaed at how they will grow. We can buy catlle from east of here and bring them to Van Zandt County and they do well.

Surely there is something that could be done to put nutrients into that grass. A person living there could tend to the pastures regularly. Ya'll have us beat on rainfall hands down.

Latest posts