Feral Hog processed.

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Well I had one processed. All sausage. He weighed about 170 or so when he was trapped. Castrated him right there in the trap with a rope snubbing his nose. The loop was right behind the cutter teeth. He was fed chops for 11 weeks and put on some weight. I took care of the first part of processing, split him in half and put him on ice with a gallon of vinegar for 12 hours then flushed and flushed the ice chest. The processor told me he had never seen a feral hog like this one and I explained it all to him.

I had 20 pounds of it made into summer sausage and it is some of the best I have ever eaten. The breakfast sausage is okay. I am ready to take some smaller ones to him and go all summer sausage with them.

Is the vinegar to get rid of some of the boar smell or just to take the edge of the wild taste?

KNERSIE":32uatt72 said:
Is the vinegar to get rid of some of the boar smell or just to take the edge of the wild taste?

We have been using it on sows too. There is really no way for me to explain it other than I read it on the net some where. The fat is not extremely white but after it soaks in vinegar it turns snow white. We are washing them with a water hose as we clean them but the vinegar goes an extra step. When you drain off the vinegar and water it is red. After that is the rinse cycles and the water is clean and clear.

BHB, sounds like you had better luck with yours than I had with my last one. I had the packing house grind the whole thing and the meat turned out like a greasey paste. It was so nasty we had to get rid of it!

FG

Fly-guy":1yyg6nah said:
BHB, sounds like you had better luck with yours than I had with my last one. I had the packing house grind the whole thing and the meat turned out like a greasey paste. It was so nasty we had to get rid of it!

FG

Sounds like the meat was ground before it was properly chilled. Needs to be nearly freezing or paste is what you'll get.

my son shot a wild hog for his H.S. graduation and we had it processed and split down the middle,but not through the back bone.we stuffed it with veggies and cooked it for 8 hrs on a rotisserie fed with charcoal.we rubbed it down with salt,pepper,onion,garlic and bbq sauce.wrapped it in foil.when we took it off it was fall off the bone good.we had about 150 guests and they ate almost all of it.it was 140lbs after processing.he shot it in miami,ok.

Sounds like the meat was ground before it was properly chilled. Needs to be nearly freezing or paste is what you'll get.[/quote]

It was shot, skinned and in a cooler in about a 2 hour time span and then hung for about a week. I seriously doubt that the packing house froze it before they processed it.

Doesn't exactly have to be frozen but it does need to be very cold or the fat will smear and the meat and fat will paste. But if they hung it for a week it should have been fine. Sounds more like dull grinder knives. That'll do it too.

Jogeephus":tm3skt2r said:
Doesn't exactly have to be frozen but it does need to be very cold or the fat will smear and the meat and fat will paste. But if they hung it for a week it should have been fine. Sounds more like dull grinder knives. That'll do it too.

Sounds like I need to be looking for another volunteer from the wild hogs. That may be difficult because I haven't had any hogs around the place for a little over a year now. Come to think of it, that's OK! It's amazing how much damage they can do.

Jogeephus":hjtfmaul said:

waaay too much fat mixed in also makes it that way...feral fattneed seems to be very greasy if overfed and much of the fat is processed back in..i kinda hold back on the fat..sometimes it makes it a bit coarse but its never pasty..anymore...

piedmontese":huxr9gl0 said:
my son shot a wild hog for his H.S. graduation and we had it processed and split down the middle,but not through the back bone.we stuffed it with veggies and cooked it for 8 hrs on a rotisserie fed with charcoal.we rubbed it down with salt,pepper,onion,garlic and bbq sauce.wrapped it in foil.when we took it off it was fall off the bone good.we had about 150 guests and they ate almost all of it.it was 140lbs after processing.he shot it in miami,ok.

I have smoked many of them probably in a similar fashion. They are all good. But - after you have eaten them over and over, you get burned out. That's why I finally had one process. Bear in mind that my record is 43 trapped in one week back in '08. That's a lot of hog/shoat/pigs. This year wasn't bad at all. I think my total is 22 for the whole year.