fencing questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Nothing seems to discourage me more than seeing fencing I've worked so hard on starting to lean due to the cows leaning on it to get the grass on the other side. Hence, I like to run a hot wire on all my fences so I don't have to spend as much time reparing them.

We use four strands of barb wire for pasture and perimeter.

If we see an animal that likes lean over or push through to get that "greener" grass that always seems to be on the other side, we just drag out my handy dandy portable electric fencer. It has a photosensitive sensor that slows down the number of pulses when it's dark (which is great because the trouble makers are bedded down at that time and it saves on the charge in the battery). I've got a marine battery that I hook up to it, and boy o boy, one touch of that hot barbed wire is all it takes to educate cows, calves and even the bulls. Gotta love it. Heh heh.

Of course, if you don't pound in a ground rod, there's always the option of using one of the other wires as a ground.

Better than fixing fence anyday. Also works great on bull pens. Run a single strand of barbed wire around the perimeter, heat it up, and see how quickly they learn NOT to fight through the fence.

Tried both woven and high tensile electric wire and just had too many hellish messes from the moose and elk busting through it and tangling it up in the bush. No thanks. Too much cussing and maintenance involved.

Anyway, that's just how the cookie crumbles up here. Nice to hear what everyone else uses.

Take care.

plb cattle":33csl5lk said:
I am buying 85 acres to run my registered brangus herd on. any tips. what to do, what not to do. electric, high tensile,barb wire.bull pens. holding pens. i have used just about every method there is but I am always looking for thr easiest with the least amount of upkeep. thanks

I use five strands of High Tinsel wire with the second from top and second from bottom hot. I use Gallagher fencing materials and Energizer. I live on a very high traffic road and have not experienced any trouble with my animals getting out.

I also use Push-A-Post Brace System for my corners. The system goes in in minutes and will pull five strands over a quarter mile. To see the system go to http://www.pushapost.com.

Check with your farm supply store for these products. I think you will like the ease of installation and the durability of the products.

Howdy,
Well we use 4 or 5 strands of barbed wire & about 8 on the perimeter or near neighbor's cattle. I prefer the board wooden fence the best with goat wire on the inside nothing can get in or out. A little expensive though.
Ellie May

Latest posts