Fencing question

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
What is better or safer along a state highway? I am putting new fence up next to a state highway. looking at field fence such as tornado 13/28/12 or kencoves version of high tensil 12.5 woven wire. Or a 6 strand single wire electrified high tensile fence. both fences with 25 ft post spacing with wood posts and possibly a couple t posts in between the wood posts. which would be the better?

Woven wire no question. I have no use for high tensile as boundary fence. Sooner or later the electricity will be off of it ( sometimes even when it isn't) and they walk right thru it. Woven fence is a fence all the time. Sure wouldn't trust it along a highway.

There will be plenty who don't agree and will tell you otherwise but this has been my experience.

Use the tornado (or similar) high tensile fixed knot (that 28 should be a 48, I think). Does not require electricity and they can't go through it. Drive the end posts at the braces deep, tighten it tight and then one more click, tie the correct high tensile knots at the ends, stretch and crimp in the middle of the run, use the correct long crimps - two for each splice. Wood line posts every 100 feet with t-posts every 20 feet between. HT barb wire on top. Will last a long time.

Agree with the woven wire type fencing. The state highway dept here uses only a woven wire type along the interstates. As stated, it is always there, unlike something that is depending on being electrified. I agree with @SmokinM in as much as I have no love of high tensile wire electrified or not.

Best way to keep cattle in is to have better feed on their side of the fence.

I have a gate malfunction or a snow drift problem every couple year. I have other cattle breaking into my pastures once or twice a year.
That works great 11 months of the year for my cattle and is bait 11 months of the year for the neighbors cattle. Then there is the stretch we are in now were those little green sprouts are more than those little 2-3 wts. can resist. I can't get rid of the last of my HT fast enough!

You couldn't pay me enough to put up woven wire anything UP here in snow country. 6 to 10 foot snow drifts will push my HT wire right to the ground and as soon as things melt it pops right back up. Woven wire gets pushed to the ground and doesn't every go back up like it once was.

I must have lazy cattle as I've never had them go thru 5 strands of HT wire even without juices for weeks on end.

The only times that I have had cattle out had nothing to do with the fence. Human error.

My advice would be build a fence that isn't held together with plastic and fiberglass and dependant on the grid.

I don't consider it electric a viable fence.
It has a limited place as a temporary interior fence. I will not have it on my place nor can you hire me to build it. And I have messed with it enough to know.
The only people I see using it is folks who came from town to 10 acre tracts. They read the brochure at TSC.
The others have several junk cars scattered around the place and pitbulls chained out front.

When I can get a fence crew, I hire them to put up OK Brand barbed wire 6 strand. Along river there are places they cut hog panels and wire it down below fence. River flows thru but cows stay in.

Last year couldn't find a crew so husband and I put up 16 ft hog panels with 6 ft T posts between pasture and pines. Our exterior fence has holes and neighbors shorthorn don't stay where they belong. Victory that I kept them from mingling w my cattle and eating my hay. When I can find a crew, this problem will get resolved.

We hung 7 gates this spring. Nice to have good gates.

Thanks for all the input. I am planning on field fence, I just picked up some wood posts today which I plan on renting a post driver to set them. Ive got a couple more questions and would like your opinions on.
1. My farthest pull is 725ft. will a single H brace be ok or do I need to ad a economy brace to that or maybe tie to a mid h brace. Not sure rule of thumb.
2. I know it will add to cost but do you use those gripples on short runs (100ft or less) so you can keep tension on those fences?

Thanks for all the input. I am planning on field fence, I just picked up some wood posts today which I plan on renting a post driver to set them. Ive got a couple more questions and would like your opinions on.
1. My farthest pull is 725ft. will a single H brace be ok or do I need to ad a economy brace to that or maybe tie to a mid h brace. Not sure rule of thumb.
2. I know it will add to cost but do you use those gripples on short runs (100ft or less) so you can keep tension on those fences?
725 feet should be fine without a brace in the middle for a straight section pull.
Medium gripple (size for 12 gauge wire) has a max working load of 880 pounds. I try to only use gripples for repair work.

Here is a Stay-Tuff planning and installation guide.

Attachments

• Stay-Tuff Installation Guide final Oct 13.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
A lot of good fencing ideas here....my only advice if the fence is not 6 foot high (which usually only occurs in corrals) you WILL NEED at least one top barb wire strand. Cows and bulls will float themselves right over all types of soft top fencing (especially field fencing or hog fencing). Approx 6" from the top of any fence needs to be that barb-wire...and two at the top 3" apart is even better..

Latest posts