Fenceline weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
I'd like to try fenceline weaning.

I currently have a four strand high-tensile electric fence (wires at 1,2,3 and 4 feet). The top and second wire from the bottom are hot.

Will this work as is?

Should I add an additional wire or two in the weaning paddock or will the calves slip through no matter how many I have?

I'd like to keep the calves out in the fresh air rather than in the barn.

badaxemoo":a131ii16 said:
I'd like to try fenceline weaning.

I currently have a four strand high-tensile electric fence (wires at 1,2,3 and 4 feet). The top and second wire from the bottom are hot.

Will this work as is?

Should I add an additional wire or two in the weaning paddock or will the calves slip through no matter how many I have?

I'd like to keep the calves out in the fresh air rather than in the barn.
and their alot better off during this time of stress to be outside. i have 5 strand of barb and a hot wire head high the hot wire really keeps em backed off. as long as they touch a hot wire when they are trying too get through too the teat it should work

I used a 2 wire electric. One wire about 12 inches off the ground and another about 30 inches off the ground. It works good.

As long as the calves are already conditioned to hotwire what you have should be more then plenty. We use a single at about 30-32 inches and don;t have a problem.
Check out some of the previous recommendations about fenline weaning, particualrly the ones about having the calves in a paddock/pasture that they've gotten used to with the cows.

dun

dun":9v3ve4rf said:
As long as the calves are already conditioned to hotwire what you have should be more then plenty. We use a single at about 30-32 inches and don;t have a problem.
Check out some of the previous recommendations about fenline weaning, particualrly the ones about having the calves in a paddock/pasture that they've gotten used to with the cows.

dun

You're right. Lots of good information in the archives. Sorry I didn't do that first.

I guess I was worried about my 24" wire being too low - but I guess they should hit it either way if they go over or under. As soon as they get over their recent "surgery", I'm going to try it.

badaxemoo":3nvdlefv said:
dun":3nvdlefv said:

dun

You're right. Lots of good information in the archives. Sorry I didn't do that first.

I guess I was worried about my 24" wire being too low - but I guess they should hit it either way if they go over or under. As soon as they get over their recent "surgery", I'm going to try it.

If you want to wear a belt AND suspenders, put a single hot wire 2 ft inside your 4 wire. I've seen them hit a hot 4 wire and propel forward, requiring me to go round them up again. Nose high is good.

john250":23bxxb6y said:
If you want to wear a belt AND suspenders, put a single hot wire 2 ft inside your 4 wire. I've seen them hit a hot 4 wire and propel forward, requiring me to go round them up again. Nose high is good.

That's where the being trained to hotwire works. By the time ours are weaning age tehey won;t get within a couple of feet of a single wire doesn;t matter if it's hot or not.

dun

dun":13cjnoij said:
john250":13cjnoij said:

That's where the being trained to hotwire works. By the time ours are weaning age tehey won;t get within a couple of feet of a single wire doesn;t matter if it's hot or not.

dun

That makes sense. I never considered it before. Thanx.

Our calves are behind hotwire from the day they're born. The first week or 2 they'll forward graze by going under the wire to thwe otherside and come back the same way. Strange that the hot wire rubbing on their back doesn;t seem to hav any affect. Then one day they apparantly get lit up and that's the end of the forward grazing and slipping under the wire.

dun

How long do you keep them seperated with the fence line method. six weeks? I don't mean to steal the thread.

cagle520":2nww9luf said:
How long do you keep them seperated with the fence line method. six weeks? I don't mean to steal the thread.

Usually 6-8 weeks. Depends on when we ship the steers and non-replacements to the backgrounder

dun

cagle520":1zccjn5j said:
Dun, This is one I'm going to keep. Would it still be 6-8weeks

That's the way we've done it till this year. After 6-8 weeks, whenever the others get shipped the retained heifers go right back into the cow herd.
This year we're doing it diffferently because of Pedro. Having a bull instead of all AI has changed some of the managment. They still get turned out and have access to the same feed as the cows but they're seperate from them. They do have an old cow in with them to teach them the ropes, and to let me keep a closer eye on her.

dun

I don't usually disagree with Dun, but I have to say, I would not turn my heifers back with their own dams. I know he has never had a problem doing it, but I know I would. And if they go back to their mom and DO suck, than you may have a sucker the rest of her life. Not worth the aggrevation to me. Can't (don't want to) take the risk of ruining a great heifer.

Latest posts