Fence Tightener

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how to tighten up a barbed wire fence with just a pair of fence pliers. My dad used to do it but I just can't figure out how he did it. I usually end up breaking the wire instead of getting the twist going to tighten things up.

I have used the Fence Tighteners by Jake. The ones that come with that little z-shaped tool. It's easy, even kind of fun, but they are kind of expensive about 12 dollars for a bag of 20. I always seem to be out of them when I need one.

I've also seen another kind of fence tightener with two prongs on the end that does the twist to get things tightened up. I've seen them for $50-$60. I'm thinking about investing in one if I can't figure out how get it done with just the fence pliers. I think it'd be cheaper than buying the bagged tighteners I mentioned above. Does anyone have one of these and are they worth the cost?

I'll twist tighten wire with fencing pliers in a pinch but splicing is a much more durable proposition. You can't twist tighten high tensile like Goucho because it is just too brittle. Also, if the twist tightened wire is ever strained by an animal, etc. it will most likely break at the twist. Splice it if you have the time.

Yeap it'll break where it's twisted nearly every time!!! I try not to do the twist thing, unless it's a section of fence that I plan to rebuild in the near future. If the wires just loose and not broke and it's not 100 miles to the brace post I'll take it loose completely and put the fence stretchers on it and restretch it. Like brand new again :lol:

A6gal, they don't make barbed wire like they used to. I know excatly what you saw your daddy do. I have done it also. Like others said, you can't do that anymore with todays wire.;-)

I use a fence stretcher it about 2 feet long has two clamps on each end and a jack handle i put the wires in those clamps then cut the wire then jack them back together and splice makes it about as tight as when new. it a little more time comsuming than twisting but when the wires gonna break anyway might as well do it right :cboy:

I do use the fence stretcher when splicing broken wire. I just thought there might be an easier way to tighten loose fence wire besides cutting and splicing or taking down and retightening.

That little tool with the prongs sure looked good, except for the cost. I was hoping someone had used one and could tell me what they think of it. I guess I just like gadgets.

A6gal":5b9134at said:
I do use the fence stretcher when splicing broken wire. I just thought there might be an easier way to tighten loose fence wire besides cutting and splicing or taking down and retightening.

That little tool with the prongs sure looked good, except for the cost. I was hoping someone had used one and could tell me what they think of it. I guess I just like gadgets.
Sometimes you can "Cheat" on a slightly loose strand by stapling the wire to the side of the post, to pull in the slack.

Take a old axe handle. Drill some holes about a inch apart up the shaft to accept dowells. Use the holes to set the amount of tension you want on the fence. Put the dowells in the appropriate holes and place over wire turn handle 180 degrees and the wire will be streatched. Now put a splice connector at the joint. Makes a little bow tie looking joint.

Bama":18s9667e said:
Take a old axe handle. Drill some holes about a inch apart up the shaft to accept dowells. Use the holes to set the amount of tension you want on the fence. Put the dowells in the appropriate holes and place over wire turn handle 180 degrees and the wire will be streatched. Now put a splice connector at the joint. Makes a little bow tie looking joint.

Bama - can you take pictures of the process? I understand the tool, but I'm not sure how you use the holes to set the tension and wrap it.

I usually use a fence stretcher, but in a bind use a hammer. I make a loop in one end of the fence and then run the other end through the loop. Take and lay your round hammer end on the loop and hook the loose end in the claw. Just start turning the hammer winding the wire around the round end, when it's tight pull on the hammer as you unwind it and then wrap around itself. This only works if you have a long enough piece to work with.

Bobg

Dusty Britches":3dovw7qa said:
Bama":3dovw7qa said:

Bama - can you take pictures of the process? I understand the tool, but I'm not sure how you use the holes to set the tension and wrap it.

All the holes do is allow you to set how much fence you take up in the twist. Pegs close together means a short loop, far apart means a large loop and takes out more slack.

milesvb,
I found that website in the land and livestock post I think, it was not long ago, and took a look. Looks like it would be real handy, and like you, I almost choked at the price too.....told Hubby, now THAT don't look like it'd be real hard to make yerself, down at the shop. Thanks for remindin me...I"m gonna hafta keep after him to build me one.

The 90 year old next-door neighbour loved to use 6-inch spikes to tighten wire back in the day. You could probably build a small shed with the number of spikes that are in the lines that are part of almost 1/2 mile of fence between us. He would get that spike wrapped around the wire and just start twisting to take up the slack anywhere in the fence. All the wire is at least 50 years old, so it wasn't a problem back then. You know darn well it would break to pieces if you twisted the brand new wire that's made today too much.

Latest posts