fence testers

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":1dcrsuyd said:
Is 1/2 inch re bar driven in 6 feet a good enough ground?

Why is my plug in fencer so much better then the 12 volt one.

I just bought a $25 dollar tester that has lights. I think shows seven voltages. Piece of crap, like all Chinese made junk. You have to use it in the dark to see the lights. I know the fence is hot, I did the touch method. :shock: :shock: :shock:
In most cases a minimum to keep the voltages up at the furthest extent of the fence, 3 rods are required. In some soils you may get by with 2. Space them 10 feet apart or as far from each other as possible and a lot of your fence problems will be gone.

Some chargers the voltage available governs the amount of outgoing voltage. Others use even the slightest amount of voltage and intensify it the same as a higher voltage. We have an old battery Gallagher that will put out 5k volts with a new battery and still puts it out until the battery is totally dead. In a way it's irritating because testing the fence doesn;t let me know when I will have to change out the battery. It works on either D cells or an automotive battery, same 5k volts with either one.

Is it an adequate ground to use a t post fence with barb wire fastened to it for a ground?

mnmtranching":a03f1f5z said:
Is it an adequate ground to use a t post fence with barb wire fastened to it for a ground?

A big part of the problem with a T-post as a ground is the paint that insualtes it from making a good contact with the earth.

Yeah, probably my problem, posts are rusty and usually, at least during the warmer months. No surface moisture. :?

I got my new fence tester,it says I have almost 8000volts in itand 0 amps.Guess I have a good fence.

mnmtranching":1fmxam8m said:
Yeah, probably my problem, posts are rusty and usually, at least during the warmer months. No surface moisture. :?
take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water and drill an 1/8th inch hole in the side about 1/2 inch from bottom and place it next to your ground rod fill it up twice a week and it will make a big difference

Angus Cowman":6urhlhr0 said:
take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with water and drill an 1/8th inch hole in the side about 1/2 inch from bottom and place it next to your ground rod fill it up twice a week and it will make a big difference

I just use a garden hose and a gate valve, but that can make a mess if you don't keep an eye on it.

To get the most effect of your ground system, always use galvanized ground rods, galvanized clamps and galvanized wire. Rust does not conduct electricity, therefore rendering a piece of rebar or a rusty tpost inadequate in most cases. The terminals on your energizer are galvanized so keep the rest of your system the same material - it reduces the effect of electrolysis (corrosion of two different types of metals). If you mix copper in the equation, you can get corrosion as well. It works for the power company because they use copper equipment in most cases.

On the fence tester side, we use the Gallagher Smartfix. It is a fault finder as well and comes with a ground probe, but we never use it -just put your thumb over the stud and use your body for the ground, same concept as the Stafix tester.

m&kCattle":qzy1hyp5 said:
Guess I'm old fashioned but a long piece of grass is what I use.
Do you read the voltage by how fast your eyes spin?

Well, the cows check with their tongues.

I ain't about to try that. Sounds like checking with a piece of grass on a wet day.

Latest posts