Fence Repair

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I was checking my fence line " Barbed Wire " and notice one side of the fence is pretty loose in the corner at far end of my property causing the rest of my wire to be looseon the 2 sides that have braces. It seems that area from all the rain and moisture and underground sping keeps the soil really with with all this rain we are getting and the8 inch post that has 4 feet burried and cemented in a 12 hole is being pulled forward from all the tention of the barbwire. There is no tree i can use to pull it back on my property but others property there is a tree i can come along it back into place but prefer to some how fix it on my property. The ground is so moist it just keeps moving. I will take pics and post later.

skyhightree1":tcw0l1gp said:
Dun wouldn't the portion thats floating still get pushed into the ground thats soft?
Depends on how big of a rock the end is sitting on. But if if it does it's amatter of a minute or 2 to retighten it.

makes sense I was gonna use a bag of concrete and dig a hole at an angle and put in a telephone pole and try and see how that went but its same principal as the floating brace though

skyhightree1":o1gpe9uo said:
makes sense I was gonna use a bag of concrete and dig a hole at an angle and put in a telephone pole and try and see how that went but its same principal as the floating brace though
I've tried concrete and the pressure from the end of the brac always cracks it within a couple o years, never had a 4-6 inch thick rock break yet.

Good point lol Next problem is finding a rock like that as we dont have many rocks like that here lol maybe an 8 inch thick layer of concrete.

skyhightree1":1rlye94c said:
Good point lol Next problem is finding a rock like that as we dont have many rocks like that here lol maybe an 8 inch thick layer of concrete.
With mesh or rebar in it might work. If you pay the freight I'll ship you some ideal floating brace rocks!

dun":3twzjcnx said:
skyhightree1":3twzjcnx said:
With mesh or rebar in it might work. If you pay the freight I'll ship you some ideal floating brace rocks!

lol not today but maybe tomorrow I may be interested .. I may take a 2x4 frame a box with layers of rebar in it.

here is the pics this is to the left of the corner where its mostly going that direction.

this is the corner you can see its leaning to the left

I've never liked that top-of-the-post brace setup. Nothing to keep the whole corner from leaning in the direction of wire strain other than that top mounted horizontal brace and the post to the left looks to be too small in diameter--it's what actually keeps the corner from moving. You need something anchoring the top of the left and right posts to the bottom of the corner post, and the left and right vertical posts needs to be same size as the corner or perhaps use Dun's floating brace--with a dang big diameter rock if it's as wet as it looks in that pic.

To be honest tho, I read the floating brace thread yesterday, and don't understand what keeps the whole corner assembly from just sliding on top of the rock in wet soil.

I've done mine just like you see on the right of this pic since 1966 when I was first taught how, whether it's around my yard or down on the east end just feet from the river bank. They don't move no matter how wet it gets or what he river throws at it when it gets on a rampage. They can't move--they are all 3 locked together by the diagonal cables.
house018a.jpg

I admit tho, I AM intrigued with those floating brace setups--I hate digging those extra 2 holes for a corner and will try it next time I build a corner.

for my floating brace I use a piece of pressure treated 2X 6 or better 2x8. the bigger it is the better it floats or stays on the soil surface.....I just take a lag screw and screw it into the end of the brace....I posted and article somewhere about the last one I build with photos...will see if I can find it and post a link....

found it....

here is a link to my bolg where I did a report with photos of an emergency fence repair with floating braces. I have not touched it since and it has been nearly two years....and the corner post is just a steel post....the braces do all the work.....

http://pdfangus.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/emergency-fence-repair/

with a dang big diameter rock if it's as wet as it looks in that pic. [/quote said:
I will put it to you like this when I walked over to take the pic im 260lbs and my feet sank about 3 inches when i got within 10 feet of it and honestly thats whats got me worried. :cry:

It might be the picture, but is there not a diagonal wire running from the bottom of the corner post to the top of the left hand post? If not, that's the primary problem. Without that, there is no "brace", just two posts in the ground.

M.Magis":1czc3bgy said:
It might be the picture, but is there not a diagonal wire running from the bottom of the corner post to the top of the left hand post? If not, that's the primary problem. Without that, there is no "brace", just two posts in the ground.

I think thats the thing everyone has noticed. This was my first barb wire fence I had ever put up and I now know the mistakes I made but honestly do not ever plan on doing it again lol kidding I am putting up a field fence now and appreciate all the help you all have given me.

I remember the first fence I built by myself as a young teenager. It leaned exactly like that, for the exact same reason. That should be fixable. Remove the horizontal post and get that corner post pulled back to where it's vertical, maybe using a come-a-long to a tree (might have to re-tamp or add gravel). While the post is held there, put the horizontal post back in place and get a brace wire on. With as wet as it is, maybe a double brace set up would help? Keep in mind, most field fence will need braced just the same as a barb or smooth wire fence.

When I build my H brace, weather corner or ends I set my post 8' apart, put the brace across, A foot or so from the top. (depends on size post I'm using) Then put the X wire to tie it all together. When I was making my H braces 4 or 5' apart they would always pull. And now I don't stretch my fencing quit as tight as a fiddle string. On the ones I build out of drill pipe I don't use any X wires.

the longer the brace the better the assembly.....
latest recommendations from Va Tech Ag engineering and local NRCS is to use good size pipe for the brace and run it as long if you can...

M.Magis":18irz6a1 said:
I remember the first fence I built by myself as a young teenager. It leaned exactly like that, for the exact same reason. That should be fixable. Remove the horizontal post and get that corner post pulled back to where it's vertical, maybe using a come-a-long to a tree (might have to re-tamp or add gravel). While the post is held there, put the horizontal post back in place and get a brace wire on. With as wet as it is, maybe a double brace set up would help? Keep in mind, most field fence will need braced just the same as a barb or smooth wire fence.

I was thinking of pulling back and putting concrete in front of it then do the braces... I will also put a pole in front as well maybe 2.
Do yall ever use this ? http://www.kencove.com/fence/quik+brace ... MgodOxgA1A or do you make your own braces?

Latest posts