Fence-line Cedars

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":14xcx354 said:
Chocolate Cow":14xcx354 said:
Tordon is a restricted use pesticide. Got to have a license to buy & use. in case you didn't know-cfpinz.
unless you can get by with rtu tordon in small containers. 1 qt at a time.

Boy howdy that would get expensive.
The license is so easy to get even a fence builder can pass the test

callmefence":okzq4wuh said:
greybeard":okzq4wuh said:
Chocolate Cow":okzq4wuh said:
Tordon is a restricted use pesticide. Got to have a license to buy & use. in case you didn't know-cfpinz.
unless you can get by with rtu tordon in small containers. 1 qt at a time.

Boy howdy that would get expensive.
The license is so easy to get even a fence builder can pass the test
Yep, like buying 2,4d by the qt--a hi dollar way of doing things.
$18/qt and most of the volume is water.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... n-rtu-1-qt
I don't use Tordon because of the water issues here, but did buy one qt RTU to see if it worked on bigger tallows slash and squirt any better or faster than Remedy/diesel or Grazon/diesel. It didn't.

A lot of farmers fence rows here are full of cedars; therefore, they are used for fence posts.

Kingfisher":2pkj03zy said:
BigYoung":2pkj03zy said:
Hey Fence,

Do you find these herbicides causing and corrosion to the wire?[/quote
Tordon will knock the tires off a dump truck but I doubt it will corrode a fence.

Being tordon is potassium salt I would think it would accelerate corrosion and rust just like any salt water solution would.

I've never used tordon. The little bottle rtu (ready to use), is that any good to tank mix for a foliar application?

Bigfoot":e8e6jluv said:
I've never used tordon. The little bottle rtu (ready to use), is that any good to tank mix for a foliar application?

Going off memory but I think it's only like 5 percent piclorsm and maybe 25 percent 24d
And 30 a quart. It's basically a homeowner type product.
Gordon is around 26 percent piclorsm. 75 per gallon
Grazon PD is around 12 percent

Tord an is corrosive. And had a strong residual in small amounts. Clean your sprayers

callmefence":2woec3to said:
Bigfoot":2woec3to said:

Going off memory but I think it's only like 5 percent piclorsm and maybe 25 percent 24d
And 30 a quart. It's basically a homeowner type product.
Gordon is around 26 percent piclorsm. 75 per gallon
Grazon PD is around 12 percent

Tord an is corrosive. And had a strong residual in small amounts. Clean your sprayers
Yep, very expensive for what you get. Unless you have a specific use for it like I did (cut stump treatment/trunk band treatment) that takes just a couple squirts per tree, it isn't worth the expense. You can kill a lot of trees with 32 oz. I just didn't think it was any better than Remedy or Grazon so I didn't get any more.

No matter what I spray, I wash everything out good, flush and then fill the lines, pumps, nozzles and wand with RV antifreeze.
So far, it's worked good.

Bigfoot":1dr2gyiq said:
Will Grayson next HL kill cedars? I got lots of it.

Grazon PD or even more so tordon is recommended for for what we call mountain cedar (ash juniper) I know that tordon is as effective in a 1/100 mix as PD is at 1/50

Pasture guard has Supposedly been effective in cedar and prickly pear. I sprayed some this year on pasture where I did not want the residual of tordon. Weeds and small pears where the main target. It did put a major burn on some cedar. Time will tell if it actually killed them

Fence, I'm glad you cleared that up as what we Texans call cedar ain't near the same tree as folks do in the norther climes.

I don't know what exact cedar tree Bigfoot has but I don't think its the same as our ash junipers. Grazonnext is a great product but it won't do much to our cedars. Tordon is by far the way to go. Cedars are fairly easy to kill if you catch them when they are small and a $80 gallon of Tordon will go along way.

We have a mix here. Mostly Virginia/Eastern cedar and a few ashe juniper. I leave most of the bigger Eastern Cedar and spray and burn the juniper with a passion.

Latest posts